Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Would you please correct the mistakes in the first part of my text?

Once dazzling white, equipped with all kinds of luxuries, the famous yacht now rusts away anonymously in the port. Her deck and cabins has become the haunt of abandoned cats that lie somnolently in the sun and gaze at the open sea. As you watch her in this pitiful state, it is difficult to imagine that a half century before she hosted lavish parties where the elites from the whole world met: Hollywood actors, distinguished musicians, writers, diplomats, members of royal families and rich African and Arab potentates. They were all invited by the leader of a small country who ruled his people with an iron fist. If anyone dared to complain, his court would lock him up for years in the prisons where torture and mistreatment of political prisoners were the norm. After spending fifteen or more years under such terrible conditions, you would never think of criticising the president and his rule again.

I imagine those distinguished people getting an official invitation by the president of the country they probably never heard of before. They knew nothing about him either, but that did not bother them much. The prospect of sailing in the Adriatic Sea on a luxurious yacht and eating well for free must have been exciting. Humans like to get things gratis, even if they are rich and famous.

They arrived from all parts of the world, and were welcomed by the host and his wife. He usually liked to wear white uniforms decorated with a dozen of medals and ribbons, but for this occasion, he would be dressed leisurely in a short-sleeved shirt and a Panama hat, and would be smoking his ubiquitous cigar, which he regularly received as a present from the Cuban people.
I imagine all those guests and their joy at being treated like kings. They were offered not only champagne, cognac, caviar and other delectable food they were used to, but also a selection of exquisite local products and dishes prepared by the country’s leading chef.

After the distinguished guests had filled their stomachs, they took to the floor, dancing to the music of a live band. I smell the delicate scents wafting from the bodies as they moved over the floor to the rhythm of songs. I hear the women jiggle at the quips their partners were whispering into their ears. I see the president sit back and puff contentedly on his cigar as he was watching his famous guests enjoying his hospitality. The parties might have gone to the early hours of the morning, when the guests retreated to their cabins. It is also possible that during the evening lust and passion swept over some people and they went to bed together. The yacht was large enough to accommodate every need and desire.
TO BE CONTINUED

Roman55

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
France
Paragraph 1:
Her deck and cabins have become...
lavish parties where the elite...

Paragraph 3:
decorated with dozens of medals and ribbons...or, decorated with a dozen medals and ribbons...

Paragraph 4:
I hear the women giggle...

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Bassim, use in port and not in the port.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

Her decks and cabins have become ....

Also, perhaps:

he would have them locked up for years ....

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Second paragraph. Perhaps:

I imagine those distinguished people getting an invitation from the president of a country they had probably never heard of before.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We don't use "humans" much in everyday language. Perhaps:

People--even those who are rich and famous--like to get things for free.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Third paragraph. Perhaps:

...his ever-present cigar, which he regularly received boxes of from the Cuban dictator.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Next paragraph. Perhaps:

I can smell the delicate scents wafting from their bodies danced to the music. I hear the women giggle at at the quips their partners whisper into their ears.

Of course, you can also say:

move to the music

Status
Not open for further replies.