Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1) There is a temple halfway to my home.
2) Office can dropped Tim off half way to his home.

Please check these. "Half way" means somewhere through the path to a destination. Am I correct?

Last edited by a moderator:

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
1) There is a temple halfway to my home.
2) Office can dropped Tim off half way to his home.

Please check these. "Half way" means somewhere [STRIKE]through the path[/STRIKE] along the route to a destination. Am I correct?

The sentences don't make sense. You need two places to talk about where the halfway point is. E.g. the temple is halfway between A and B,

slevlife

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia
The sentences work okay (in the right contexts) because the starting location is implied in both cases.

1. The starting point is where the speaker is currently located.
2. The starting point is the office.

However, the second sentence has major grammatical errors. It should be something like "Someone at the office can drop Tim off halfway to his home."

Just to reinforce the fact that you can use halfway without explicitly specifying two positions, I'll point out that it's even fine to use it without specifying either location (if both points are known from context).

A: I'm heading toward the park. [starting location unspecified, and "toward the park" is only a direction]
B: Okay, let's meet halfway. [starting location unspecified] See you at the McDonald's. [middle point]

This conversation would be perfectly natural if both speakers roughly knew where the other was located.

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
The sentences work okay (in the right contexts) because the starting location is implied in both cases.

A: I'm heading toward the park. [starting location unspecified]
B: Okay, let's meet halfway. [starting location unspecified] See you at the McDonald's. [middle point]

Is it correct to say "Heading toward"? Because I was told that it was incorrect to do so.

slevlife

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia
Is it correct to say "Heading toward"? Because I was told that it was incorrect to do so.
Why did they say it was incorrect? Are you suggesting I should say "headed toward"? "Heading towards"?

Toward is more common than towards in AmE. And dictionaries seem to support my use of heading.

In any case, all of these variations sound natural to me and are commonly used. I would ignore a grammarian who claimed I shouldn't use "heading toward."

Last edited:

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Why did they say it was incorrect? Are you suggesting I should say "headed toward"? "Heading towards"?

Toward is more common than towards in AmE. And dictionaries seem to support my use of heading.

In any case, all of these variations sound natural to me and are commonly used. I would ignore a grammarian who claimed I shouldn't use "heading toward."

No, I was told that "Headed towards" is incorrect. Is it incorrect to say it? I mean "Headed towards" and "Heading towards" are these different?

1) I was headed towards the mall.

2) I am heading towards the mall.

Are these correct? Do we need to use "Towards" only after "Heading"? Is it incorrect to use after "Heading"?

slevlife

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Serbia
Dude, I could basically repeat my last comment in response.

What reason did the person who told you this give for it being incorrect?

If you change the tense (was to am) then of course the meaning changes. ;-) “Am headed” and “was heading” also work just fine, so you can pick either tense for both.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, I was told that "headed towards" is incorrect. Is it? [STRIKE]incorrect to say it?[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]I mean[/STRIKE] Are "headed towards" and "heading towards" [STRIKE]are these[/STRIKE] different?

1) I was headed towards the mall.
2) I am heading towards the mall.

Are these correct? Do we need to use "towards" only after "heading"? Is it incorrect to use after "heading"?

Both of those are possible in BrE.

For the umpteenth time, tufguy, stop capitalising words in quotation marks when they are not the first word of a complete sentence that you are quoting!

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Dude, I could basically repeat my last comment in response.

What reason did the person who told you this give for it being incorrect?

If you change the tense (was to am) then of course the meaning changes. ;-) “Am headed” and “was heading” also work just fine, so you can pick either tense for both.

Sorry, that was a different thread.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Both of those are possible in BrE.

For the umpteenth time, tufguy, stop capitalising words in quotation marks when they are not the first word of a complete sentence that you are quoting!

I am heading towards my office.

I am headed towards South.

I am heading south.

I was headed to my office.

Are these correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I am heading towards my office. :tick:

I am headed towards South. :cross:

Are these correct?

You can't say "towards South". You can use "towards the south" or "I am headed south".

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
You can't say "towards South". You can use "towards the south" or "I am headed south".

I am headed towards the south.

I am headed south.

Status
Not open for further replies.