Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello.

I want to describe a dystopian society in which there is so much "pain", "misery" and "suffering".

First, I decided to use the verb "racked". What other similar verbs that I can use?

The whole city is racked by pain. It is racked by suffering. It is racked by misery. There is accumulation of pain and anger and I think it will come gushing out some day. What form or shape it will take is anyone's guess.

My first question is that what verbs can I use to avoid repeating "rack"? I know I can also put all of it in one sentence and use rack for all three words. But I would like to have another option.
My second question is that, what do you think about the collocation "accumulation of pain"?
My third questions is that, is it correct to say that "pain and anger" will come gushing out?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The whole city is racked by pain. It is racked by suffering. It is racked by misery. There is accumulation of pain and anger and I think it will come gushing out some day. What form or shape it will take is anyone's guess.

I prefer beset with to racked.

Accumulation - build-up?

Gushing out - reach breaking point?

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location