they may resist losing that identity in favor of one based on a tourism industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

fruitfly

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Hello, this is the text that was on my English test.
I want to know if I understood the underlined part correctly. I replaced the "in favor of" with "over" when I was reading this because it seemed that the place identity is the opposite of tourism industry in this context. I'm not so sure if I got it, though, because this sentence itself was kind of confusing.

The narratives that people create to understand their landscapes come to be viewed as marketable entities and a source of income for residents. Landscapes with a strong place identity have an advantage in marketing to tourists, as it is relatively easy to compartmentalize and market their narratives. Such places may have disadvantages as well,however. If place identity is tied to a particular industry, local residents may feel strongly attached to the definitions of place that stem from involvement in that industry, and they may resist losing that identity in favor of one based on a tourism industry. People rooted in landscape may feel strong connections to other community members and may resent the invasion of outsiders who they believe are different and challenge their common identity. Finally, local residents may feel that this process reduces their identities to mere commercial transactions, and they may believe they sacrifice what is unique and special about their place.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
First, please use Edit Post to separate with a space the pairs of words which have been run together by the copy and paste process., followed by Save.

Last edited by a moderator:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I don't like either "in favour of" or "over" in that sentence. Try substituting "and having it replaced by".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have changed your thread title. Titles should include some/all of the words/sentences you're asking us about.

fruitfly

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I don't like either "in favour of" or "over" in that sentence. Try substituting "and having it replaced by".
That makes more sense! Thank you. Yes, that was what I was aiming for, too, but I couldn't find the right words. :)

fruitfly

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I have one more question: Do these phrases exist? I think not, but I wasn't sure.
lose A over B
win A over B

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have one more question: Do these phrases exist? I think not, but I wasn't sure.
lose A over B
win A over B

No, they don't exist.

At a push, you could use "Team A have won six games over team B" but "against" would be the common term. You definitely can't "lose over" someone else.

Last edited:

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq