This has been discussed and This is being discussed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEVILSCOFFIN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hello, everyone.

Which of these following sentences is correct?

"This has been discussed last meeting." and "This is being discussed last meeting."

DEVILSCOFFIN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hi.

When should be the right time that we use this word has been?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
This has been discussed.
This has been discussed before.
This has been discussed many times.

DEVILSCOFFIN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Meaning has been is still ongoing?

DEVILSCOFFIN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hello.

Could you please help me to understand what is really going on with this sentence. "This has been discussed last meeting."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What's going on is that it's an ungrammatical sentence and you shouldn't use it.

DEVILSCOFFIN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hello.

This has been discussed last meeting.

Please help me to understand their difference.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
DC, have you found the 'Thank' and 'Like' buttons in the bottom left-hand corner of every post?

Clicking one of these means you don't have write things like 'I understand now. Thank you so much.'

It saves everybody's time.
:-D

DEVILSCOFFIN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hi,

I don't know if this is correct but at least I have tried and it will be corrected.

We have discussed it in our last meeting that you must turn off your phone.

We have discussed it at our last meeting that you must turn off your phone.

Are these both correct?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, sorry. They're both incorrect. This would be more natural: You have to turn off your phone. We discussed this at our last meeting.

DEVILSCOFFIN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
I'm not sure if this is correct. Present Perfect tense happened in the past but it's continuing until now?

Meaning, I can't use it in the event that has a deadline?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm not sure if this is correct. Is the present perfect tense used for something that happened in the past but [STRIKE]it's[/STRIKE] is still continuing? [STRIKE]until now?[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]Meaning,[/STRIKE] Does that mean I can't use it [STRIKE]in the[/STRIKE] for an event that has a deadline?

Can you give us an example sentence using an event that "has a deadline"?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
This has been discussed last meeting.

The first is wrong. You are using the present perfect with a finished period of time - the occasion of the meeting - and you should use the past simple. With the second, which is correct, there may have been a number of discussions, and the matter may require further discussion- it does not refer to a specific occasion in the past.

Jorgo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
Hello DC,

As a one non-native speaker to another (to you) I will try to explain to you how I grasped the difference between two tenses, which might be useful to you in this case. Teachers, feel free to rectify my explanation if I am mistaken.

So, in first case you mentioned particular period of time when some event happened- last meeting - which means it already happened then and event is finished. That requires past simple.
For example :" I DID my homework yesterday" (I am telling you now that I completed my duties yesterday and it's closed chapter now).

On the contrary, your second case indicates that you have done something before in non specific period of time which might be still lasting in the present.
For the sake of clarity: "I have met him several times" ( I am telling you now that I had several meetings with him, but who knows if we will ever meet again, maybe we will, maybe not. I didnt mention particular time framework). In the nutshell- usually when you use some particular time references for the event that happened in the past, like "yesterday", "last year", "last week"....- past simple tense should follow!
I hope that my explanation helps, because I know how difficult could be to decipher some things as a non native.
Once again, for the sake of punctuality and proper learning - I am not a teacher and please feel free to rectify, correct or delete my post if you think it's confusing or terribly wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

DEVILSCOFFIN

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Tagalog
Home Country
Philippines
Current Location
Philippines
Hello...

I understand now. Present Perfect tense is used to describe an action or life experienced that happens in the past and still continuing to the present.

Example; We've been discussing it for several times. It means we had discussed it before and probably until today. Am I right? It has been discussed since Monday afternoon. It means we've discussed it recently and possibly until now. Am I correct in my sentences?

Jorgo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
Hello...

I understand now. Present Perfect tense is used to describe an action or life experienced that happens in the past and still continuing to the present.

In my humble opinion, yes, that's the one of the purposes of Present Perfect Tense.

Example; We've been discussing it for several times. It means we had discussed it before and probably until today. Am I right?

Sorry for saying this, but I think you made mistake here, because you used Past Perfect Tense (We HAD discussed...) which is something different from Present Perfect. Likewise, I would not use in this case Present Pefect Continuous, because it refers that you didnt cease the action started in the past at all, which in your case doesn't have a sense to me. Instead of that, if I were you I would cling to "simple" Present Perfect.

It has been discussed since Monday afternoon. It means we've discussed it recently and possibly until now. Am I correct in my sentences?

If you want to describe the unstoppable action that lasted from Monday till now, maybe I would opt here for Present Perfect Continuous, but likewise Present Perfect Continuous looks good to me .

Hope this helps! Please note that I am not a techer!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Jorgo and DEVILSCOFFIN,

FYI, it's incorrect to capitalise the names of tenses. Please remember next time.;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.