Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Does "they require" mean "the apps require"? Or does it refer to "the strategies require"?

=======================

In the toolkit of strategies to stop the spread of SARS-CoV-2, more countries are reaching for smartphone apps. When phones with such an app are close together, they exchange information — in some cases creating a log of who a phone’s owner has been near. These ‘contacts’ will be alerted if they have been close to an infected person. Such apps can complement a country’s overall COVID-19 control strategies — including testing, contact tracing, isolation and social distancing — but they cannot serve as a replacement for them, or the thousands of contact-tracing teams they require.

-from Nature
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-01264-1

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
There is the ambiguity. The word could mean either.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
A country’s overall COVID-19 control strategies. There is no ambiguity.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Such apps can complement a country’s overall COVID-19 control strategies but they cannot serve as a replacement for them, or the thousands of contact-tracing teams they require.

A country’s overall COVID-19 control strategies. There is no ambiguity.

How so? Rule of proximity?
I suppose so. I've shortened the quotation and underlined some more words while bolding others. Is it clear now?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, it's not about proximity. I think post #5 shows why very clearly.
I tried to figure out how I knew which pronoun referred to which noun phrase but quickly realized it was beyond me. Can you briefly shed some light on this?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I tried to figure out how I knew which pronoun referred to which noun phrase but quickly realized it was beyond me. Can you briefly shed some light on this?

Here:

Such apps can complement a country’s overall COVID-19 control strategies ... but they cannot serve as a replacement for them, or the thousands of contact-tracing teams they require.

I assume that the reference between the first two red phrases and the first two blue phrases is clear enough. That is, we can easily identify the two red phrases, and also identify the first two blue phrases.

With that grounding, the reference between the two red noun phrases and the final blue phrase (they) follows from the logical structure (via or) and the grammar of the relative clause.

1) Such apps cannot serve as a replacement for a country's overall COVID-19 control strategies.
2) Such apps cannot serve as a replacement for the thousands of contact-tracing teams (that) a country's overall COVID-19 control strategies require.

The relative clause can now basically be laid out as: A country's control strategies require thousands of contact-tracing teams.

Does that all follow?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.