Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

The more one stands above the rest, the more likely it is to be the first cut down.

I don't understand the grammar rules here. "Cut down" could be a noun but if it's a verb, it should be "the first to be cut down".

Would you please explain this to me?

Source: Personal notebook of sentences with unknown origins.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The more one stands above the rest, the more likely he is to be the first cut down.

If I change "it" to he", I think the sentence is correct. But someone might ask why not "she is" but "he is".

How can I improve the sentence to make it correct?

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The sentence is incorrect. Note the mismatch of pronouns.

If that fault were corrected,the sentence would be OK. 'Cut' is a third form (past participle). 'To be' is possible but not essential.

If I change "it" to he", I think the sentence is correct. But someone might ask why not "she is" but "he is".

How can I improve the sentence to make it correct?
Lack of context makes this tricky. I don't find the original sentence ungrammatical, but it's rather odd. "One" could mean one tree, for example; if so, the later pronoun "it" is fine. You could grammatically replace it with he, she, he or she or, to many writers today, they.

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Since this sentence is also from the notebook from 2009-2010. I took a look and found that the sentence was first appeared on WR. At that time I didn't write the source but now I do.

I'm sorry for this. Next time I'll try to search on both forums and see if I can find what I want.

And yes, the thread was about trees and wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.