Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's optional. However, the meaning changes depending on whether you include it or not.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
It's optional. However, the meaning changes depending on whether you include it or not.

Could you please explain how it changes?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I like to go for a walk and to visit my friends on Sundays > I like to do two things on a Sunday. I like to go for a walk. I also like to visit my friends. These two things are not necessarily connected.

I like to go for a walk and visit my friends on Sundays > I like to walk to my friends' houses on Sundays/I like to stop off at friends' houses during my Sunday walk.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I like to go for a walk and to visit my friends on Sundays > I like to do two things on a Sunday. I like to go for a walk. I also like to visit my friends. These two things are not necessarily connected.

I like to go for a walk and visit my friends on Sundays > I like to walk to my friends' houses on Sundays/I like to stop off at friends' houses during my Sunday walk.

Oh, thanks. I didn't know that. Does the meaning always change like that? For example, 1. "I like to read books and watch an interesting movie on Sundays/the weekend."
2. "I like to read books and to watch an interesting movie on Sundays/the weekend."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No, it doesn't always change the meaning. Logic comes into it, apart from anything else. No one would think that you like to read a book and watch a movie at the same time, regardless of the day of the week!

The thing with your original context was that "go and do something" (which is effectively what "go for a walk and visit" suggests) is used, in BrE at least, to express two things in one action.

I want to go and get a takeaway tonight.
He decided to go and visit his mum.
We want to go and take photos of the sunset this evening.

In all three sentences, "go and" might well be included by a native speaker even though the actual meaning of all three could be expressed without those two words.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I see now. Thanks a million! And in my additional examples "and watch.." "and to watch" without the change in meaning are both correct. Do I understand correctly?

1. "I like to read books and watch an interesting movie on Sundays/the weekend."
2. "I like to read books and to watch an interesting movie on Sundays/the weekend."

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.