To clarify the matter, Professor Jackson painted the matter in a materialistic light and likened the two theories...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I want to say someone presents an issue in a particular way. Can I use "paint something in a ...light"? Is this okay?

To clarify the matter, Professor Jackson painted the matter in a materialistic light and likened the two theories to a fancy smartphone and a cheap one.

If it doesn't work, what can I say?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it's OK. (@emsr2d2 will probably have a different opinion. 😊)

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
He used a real-life example to explain the theories.

I don't really like the use of "painted ... light". That phrase is used to mean a particular spin was put on a matter. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It doesn't work for me. It's usually used to say something about someone (or something) that isn't necessarily true. I wouldn't use it for comparisons.

She painted her ex-husband in a very bad light.
They painted their business in a really good light but the company was actually causing huge damage to the environment.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It doesn't work for me. It's usually used to say something about someone (or something) that isn't necessarily true. I wouldn't use it for comparisons.

She painted her ex-husband in a very bad light.
They painted their business in a really good light but the company was actually causing huge damage to the environment.
What would you use instead of that?

To clarify the matter, Professor Jackson .... the matter in a materialistic .... and likened the two theories to a fancy smartphone and a cheap one.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To clarify it, Prof Jackson used a comparison between two physical things - an expensive smartphone and a cheap one.

Status
Not open for further replies.