Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi, everyone. I wrote these two sentences. My biggest concern is that 'they' doesn't refer to the plastics bags that are sent to landfill sites, but refers to plastic bags. That is to say I'm worried the red 'they' doesn't refer to 'most of them', but refers to 'them'. If 'they' does refer to those sent to landfill sites, please explain why.

Also, can I omit the comma after 'consequently'? I feel there are too many commas.

Plastic bags are difficult and expensive to recycle. Consequently
, after being used, most of them are sent to landfill sites. As they sit there, they break down into tiny particles, which then enter soil and pollute the? food chain.

Last edited:

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, everyone. I wrote these two sentences. My biggest concern is that 'they' doesn't refer to the plastics bags that are sent to landfill sites, but refers to plastic bags. That is to say I'm worried the red 'they' doesn't refer to 'most of them', but refers to 'them'. If 'they' does refer to those sent to landfill sites, please explain why.

Also, can I omit the comma after 'consequently'? I feel there are too many commas.

Plastic bags are difficult and expensive to recycle. Consequently
, after being used, most of them are sent to landfill sites. As they sit there, they break down into tiny particles, which then enter the soil and contaminate the[STRIKE]?[/STRIKE] food chain.
It's clear that "them" and "they" refer to plastic bags.

I would just say, "which then enter the soil and food chain."

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It's clear that "them" and "they" refer to plastic bags.
Thanks, Charlie. But 'they' shouldn't refer to plastic bags. It should refer to the plastic bags that are sent to landfill sites. How to fix this problem?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
It's fine as it is.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Thanks, Charlie. But 'they' shouldn't refer to plastic bags. It should refer to the plastic bags that are sent to landfill sites. How to fix this problem?
Yes, and it does. It's clear which bags you mean. There is no problem.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
By the way, here's a footnote based on my experience in the garbage business. The idea that plastic bags break down in landfill is essentially a myth. They do, but it takes centuries, not years or even decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.