Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I have just read a text from my english book, which is written like this - We can suppose that all information on the external influences are contained in the past ecord of prices........

I have learned 'information' is uncountable noun, but that sentence makes me confused.
Why is 'are' written as a verb? Plz explain me...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I have just read [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] the following [strike]text[/strike] sentence [STRIKE]from[/STRIKE] in my English book: [STRIKE]which is written like this -[/STRIKE]

We can suppose that all information on the external influences are contained in the past record of prices.

I have learned that 'information' is an uncountable noun, but that sentence makes me confused.
Why is 'are' the verb form used? [STRIKE]written as a verb?[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Plz[/STRIKE] Please explain it to me.

Welcome to the forum. :hi:

Please tell us the title of the book and the name of the author. You must do this every time you quote someone else's words. Also, when you say "English book", do you simply mean a book written in English or a book designed to help you learn/study English?

It's a terrible sentence all round, to be honest, but you're right that "are" is incorrect when referring to "information". The writer might have got confused and attached the verb to "external influences" but that's not correct.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's wrong, but the writer is probably thinking about influences as the subject- this is called proximity,

Status
Not open for further replies.