Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
1. It seems that nothing has happened to the item, but we can't confirm unless we open the box and inspect the items physically.
2. It seems that nothing has happened to the item, but we can't confirm unless until we open the box and inspect the items physically.

Would please tell me which one is grammatically correct? Is the above sentence stand with "unless" alone? or Do I really need to write both " unless until together in the sentence? Is the first clause, correct? or Should I write " It seems that nothing is happened to the item?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
1. It seems that nothing has happened to the item, but we can't confirm unless we open the box and inspect the items physically.
That one is okay, but I would prefer "confirm that".
2. It seems that nothing has happened to the item, but we can't confirm unless until we open the box and inspect the items physically.
That one is no good. It is ungrammatical to say "unless until". You could use "until" instead of "unless" if you wish.
Would please tell me which one is grammatically correct?
See above.
Is the above sentence stand correct with "unless" alone?
See above.
or do I really need to write both "unless" and "until" together in the sentence?
See above.
Is the first clause correct?
Yes, or you could say "It seems that nothing has been done to the/that item".
or should I write "It seems that nothing is happened to the item"?
No. That would be ungrammatical. Note that "nothing's happened" is always short for "nothing has happened".

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
By "nothing has happened to the item" do you mean it isn't damaged? How you know that if you haven't looked at it?

Is it one item or more than one?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would prefer either "... and physically inspect the items" or simply "... and inspect the items" at the end.

PRD2021

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
By "nothing has happened to the item" do you mean it isn't damaged? How you know that if you haven't looked at it?

Is it one item or more than one?
one item

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you can say the item isn't damaged even though you haven't looked at it, you must have X-ray vision.