Interested in Language
Native Language
Assamese
Home Country
Armenia
Current Location
Azerbaijan
Unlockable

As someone whose native language is not English, I always misunderstood "unlockable" in the past. Even now, I sometimes take 2-3 secs to realize the intended meaning of the word.
This is because I thought the word was constructed from lock >> lock + able which means can be locked >> add prefix "un-" which the opposite of something un + lock + able = unlockable which means cannot be locked.
It's only after later on I realized it actually is constructed from lock >> prefix "un-" un+lock which means not locked >> add suffix "-able" which is the ability of something un+lock+able = unlockable which means can (able to) be unlocked.
LoL, just my two cents, or so they say
:cool:
What do you people think? Did anyone think the same as I did?
Fun stuff.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We're not averse to a bit of fun stuff, yahoyoha, but please correct the information in your profile. You appear to have made random selections from the available options.

We like to think new members are telling us the truth about themselves. Your anonymity will in no way be compromised.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That's an interesting post, yahoyoha. We simply don't come across that word very much in everyday life, and any ambiguity would be eliminated by context. Where do you usually see this word? It sounds like video game language.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The mobile phone industry avoids the ambiguity by referring to locked versus unlocked phones.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Thread closed until the OP edits their profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.