Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Cantonese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Hi all, I'm new to this forum. Apologies if i posted at the wrong section.

My question is I wonder if my interpretation on the following context was correct.

Context: Michelle is the Head of Sales Department, she is subordinated by 2 assistant.

Can I take the word "subordinated by" above to mean assisted by, flanked by, aided by which was contradictory to the dictionary meaning of "to put in less important position"?

Appreciate your feedback. Thanks.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Welcome to the forum. :hi:

I've moved your post to the Ask a Teacher section.

To answer your question, no. People can be subordinate or subordinate themselves. But the reflexive pronoun is required. Subordinate as an active verb is transitive. In other words it requires an object. The passive "be subordinated by" does not exist.

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Woaini, I see you posted the same thread here.

Please do not post the same question simultaneously to more than one forum. Doing so wastes our valuable time. Instead, post your question to one forum and wait for replies. If you're not satisfied with those replies, you can try another forum, but please indicate in your thread that you've already asked the same question elsewhere (provide a link), and outline why you were not satisfied with the answers you received already.
(teechar)

Status
Not open for further replies.