Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
These are two sentences I found on Longman.

You’ll have to go now, otherwise you’ll miss your bus.

We were delayed at the airport. Otherwise we would have been here by lunch time.

I noticed that in the first sentence, 'otherwise' is preceded by a comma. In the second sentence, on the other hand, it is preceded by a fullstop. Something else I noticed is that in the second sentence, 'otherwise' is not followed by a comma, although I have a feeling it should. Can someone explain?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
These are two sentences I found on Longman.

We were delayed at the airport. Otherwise we would have been here by lunch time.

I noticed that in the first sentence, 'otherwise' is preceded by a comma. In the second sentence, on the other hand, it is preceded by a fullstop. Something else I noticed is that in the second sentence, 'otherwise' is not followed by a comma, although I have a feeling it should be. Can someone explain?

I would use a period (full stop) in the first instance.

You don't need a comma after "Otherwise".

Added: If you need an explanation you'll have to wait for jutfrank or 5jj.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think the first sentence is fine and punctuated well. The comma represents a natural pause between the two logically connecting clauses. When otherwise is used in this way (see the first entry here), I'd advise always using a comma.

The second sentence employs a different use of otherwise. I understand this conjunctive use as transitional. That means that it introduces a comment about the previous sentence. The comment in this case is an expression of pure condition—you can substitute Otherwise for an entire condition clause (If we hadn't been delayed at the airport). In this function as a transition, I say there really ought to be two separate sentences (a linking semicolon would also suffice) and that it's generally good practice to place a comma after an introductory sentence adverb, just as you would with any other transition.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To me, "otherwise" functions as a conjunctive adverb [. . .].

That's my feeling, too. "Otherwise" could actually be preceded by a semicolon and followed by a comma. It could even be placed at the end of the second independent clause, unlike a coordinating conjunction.

You'll have to go now; otherwise, you'll miss your bus.
You'll have to go now; you'll miss your bus, otherwise.

99bottles

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Greece
That's my feeling, too. "Otherwise" could actually be preceded by a semicolon and followed by a comma. It could even be placed at the end of the second independent clause, unlike a coordinating conjunction.

You'll have to go now; otherwise, you'll miss your bus.
You'll have to go now; you'll miss your bus, otherwise.

So it needs a comma at the end of the sentence too?

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I don't think it does.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

Hurry up or you'll miss your bus.

If for some reason I wanted to force "otherwise" into the sentence I wouldn't put it at the end. (Unless you paid me of course. Then I'll put it anywhere you want. ;-) )

Status
Not open for further replies.