Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
Italy
Hello, I would like to know whether the word 'disenfranchised' is only used to talk about voting rights. Is it wrong or incorrect to use the word in other contexts? I've read things such as 'feeling disenfranchised' that would suggest the word is also a synonym for 'invalidated' etc. So would it be incorrect, for example, to talk about 'disenfranchised identity' (in reference to a minority but not specifically to political rights)?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It can be used with a wide variety of scenarios beyond voting. All the dictionaries I checked listed at least two definitions - one related to voting, and another related to being deprived of some right, privilege, or immunity. That leaves a lot of flexibility on how to use it.

I might feel disenfranchised because I wasn't offered the same employee discount at the lunch counter my coworkers were.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello.

I would like to know whether the word 'disenfranchised' is [STRIKE]only[/STRIKE] used to talk only about voting rights. Is it wrong [STRIKE]or incorrect[/STRIKE] to use the word in other contexts? I've read things such as 'feeling disenfranchised' that would suggest the word is also a synonym for 'invalidated' etc. So would it be incorrect, for example, to talk about 'disenfranchised identity' (in reference to a minority but not specifically to political rights)?

Note my corrections above. "Wrong" and "incorrect" mean the same so don't use both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.