[Idiom] Using idioms. 'I went too far ahead of myself'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NamelessKing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
UK
Are these sentences correct?

I thought we were going to win but we ended up losing. I went too far ahead of myself or "I went to far ahead of ourselves"

You can not make me dance to your tune, I'm technically an adult coz I just turned 18.

Why is Joe always bragging about his high grades? I mean it's pretty neat that he is proficient/adept in maths, but he should take it down a notch.

I bungled my part of the work, now I have to shoulder the burden/blame/consequences of the written warning. Hopefully we don't/won't get relieved of our duty.

Cheers,

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Re: Using idioms

Are these sentences correct?

1. I thought we were going to win but we ended up losing. :tick:
I went too far ahead of myself or "I went to far ahead of ourselves". I don't know what either of them means. What do you mean by "I went too far ahead of ...".

2. You [STRIKE]can not[/STRIKE] cannot make me dance to your tune; I'm technically an adult [STRIKE]coz[/STRIKE] because I just turned 18.

3. Why is Joe always bragging about his high grades? I mean it's pretty neat that he is proficient/adept in maths, but he should take it down a notch. :tick:

4. I bungled my part of the work; now I have to shoulder the [STRIKE]burden/blame/[/STRIKE] consequences of the written warning. Hopefully we don't/won't get relieved of our [STRIKE]duty[/STRIKE] duties.

Cheers.

See above.

NamelessKing

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Chile
Current Location
UK

My mistake, the correct phrase is "get ahead of oneself" I wanted to express that I prematurely assumed that we were going to win.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

In that case, "I got ahead of myself" works. It doesn't use "too" and combining "I" with "ourselves" doesn't work. You could say "We got ahead of ourselves" if the whole team assumed they were going to win.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
NamelessKing, please note that I have changed your thread title.

Extract from the Posting Guidelines:

'Thread titles should include all or part of the word/phrase being discussed.'

Status
Not open for further replies.