We are interested in its sense as a noun to mean ...

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
row

The word row has many different meanings, but we are interested in its sense as a noun to mean “a noisy dispute” and a verb to mean “to noisily argue.”** Row can be used in this sense as in While my friends and I like to row about the best ninja turtle, in the end, we agree it is obviously Donatello. This sense of row is first recorded in the 1740s, but its origin is unknown.

Source: Thesaurus.com https://www.thesaurus.com/e/ways-to-say/synonyms-for-argue/

What's the role of "to"?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No, it expresses purpose/intention:

... its sense as a noun with the purpose/intention of meaning 'a noisy dispute'

The infinitive marker to always expresses a basic sense of orientation. Very often this orientation can better be called 'purpose' or 'intention'. In these cases, I call the verb phrase an infinitive of purpose. It's similar to the other example you asked about most recently.

Last edited:

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Could we also substitute (to mean “a noisy dispute” and a verb to mean “to noisily argue.”) with (in order for the word row to mean “a noisy dispute” and a verb in order for the word row to mean “to noisily argue.”)?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No, not at all.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
but we are interested in its sense as a noun to mean “a noisy dispute” and a verb to mean “to noisily argue.

I understand what the bold parts mean, not what the underlined parts mean.
Do underlined parts mean roughly "in order for us to express “a noisy dispute”" and "in order for us to express to mean “to noisily argue”".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Many words have various senses. We're interested in one particular sense of the word 'row', which is the sense that can be defined as 'a noisy dispute'. This sense comes when it's working as a noun.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Many words have various senses. We're interested in one particular sense of the word 'row', which is the sense that can be defined as 'a noisy dispute'. This sense comes when it's working as a noun.
This reply is easily comprehensible to me.

The word row has many different meanings, but we are interested in its sense as a noun to mean “a noisy dispute” and a verb to mean “to noisily argue.”** Row can be used in this sense as in While my friends and I like to row about the best ninja turtle, in the end, we agree it is obviously Donatello. This sense of row is first recorded in the 1740s, but its origin is unknown.

It would seem that your previous explanation doesn't fit if "to"s are infinitives of purpose

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What? What doesn't fit where? I'm losing the will to continue with this. Tell me exactly which part you don't understand.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I'm sorry. Is "to" "in order to"?

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Thanks for your patience.

The word row has many different meanings, but we are interested in (its sense as a noun to mean “a noisy dispute” and a verb to mean “to noisily argue.”)

It seems to me that "a noun to mean “a noisy dispute” and a verb to mean “to noisily argue.”" is the object of "as" and that "to"s mean roughly "which".

I wonder how you parse the part in parentheses.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am totally confused. The sentence in question is not confusing, but why are we taking it apart, and how did "to" come to mean "which"?

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
how did "to" come to mean "which"?
Despite all advice to the contrary, GL continues to try to discover if one preposition/particle 'means' another.

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Despite all advice to the contrary, GL continues to try to discover if one preposition/particle 'means' another.
No, I don't.
There is almost no one word that is exactly the same in meaning as another.
However, one word could be similar in meaning to another.

Last edited:

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
However, one word could be similar in meaning to another.
The problem with that idea is that many of the 'little' words in English, the prepositions and particles have in themselves no ''meaning.

On the contrary for example, is used introduce a statement that says the opposite of the last one (definition). The word on means nothing in itself -it functions as part of a three-word expression.

jutfrank has done his best in this thread to explain how to is used in your sentence. jutfrank chooses his words carefully. Try to understand those words rather than offering alternatives.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is "to" "in order to"?

I don't know to make sense of this. Are you asking whether 'to' can be replaced with 'in order to'? Or are you asking whether there is any way that 'to' and 'in order to' cross over in meaning?

It would seem that your previous explanation doesn't fit if "to"s are infinitives of purpose

I don't know what you expect me to say to this. How can I see what's going on in your mind? You have to be more specific about which particular part of a sentence you don't understand. I asked you twice but you didn't answer me.

Thanks for your patience.

And thank you for testing it. I'll try one last approach.

It seems to me that "a noun to mean “a noisy dispute” and a verb to mean “to noisily argue.”" is the object of "as" and that "to"s mean roughly "which".

I'm going to guess what you might be talking about. Look, here's an approximate paraphrase of the relevant part of the sentence, in different grammar:

(we are interested in) its sense as a noun, meaning 'a noisy dispute'

GoldfishLord

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I understand it.