We find that Princess Toadstool is missing again!

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
[From Super Mario World]
DRYK4aT.jpg

----
We find that Princess Toadstool is missing again!

Why is find in the present simple? Why not "We have found" or "We found"? I know that "find" can be used in the present simple to mean "think". For example, I find this game very interesting. But I don't think this is the case. What do you think?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It puts the reader in the present moment. Right now, as you are looking at this screen, we find (are aware) that Princess Toadstool is missing.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
It puts the reader in the present moment. Right now, as you are looking at this screen, we find (are aware) that Princess Toadstool is missing.
So, "we find" here is actually "we just found", but that "just found" is very, very close to "now" (perhaps almost at the same time when we are looking at this screen). Therefore, the present simple can be used to make it more vivid.

Does this make sense?

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So, "we find" here is actually "we just found", but that "just found" is very, very close to "now" (perhaps almost at the same time when we are looking at this screen). Therefore, the present simple can be used to make it more vivid.

Does this make sense?

No. See post #2.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
No. See post #2.
So, is it like a state? We are in a state where we are aware (= We find) that Princess Toadstool is missing.

The present simple of "find" is used to mean a state rather than an action.

Does this make sense?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
So, is it like a state?

No.

When we talk about narratives, we use the present simple to describe the content of episodes. Here's a similar example:

In episode 2 we meet @raissa_pardini, who shows us the method behind the madness of her vivid acid color combinations.

This tells us what's going to happen in the episode.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
When we talk about narratives, we use the present simple to describe the content of episodes. Here's a similar example:

In episode 2 we meet @raissa_pardini, who shows us the method behind the madness of her vivid acid color combinations.

This tells us what's going to happen in the episode.
But in the original it is like someone (the "we") is welcoming Mario and asking him for help. It doesn't seem like your example, I guess.

[Edit: Changed "It doesn't like your example" to "It doesn't seem like your example".]

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
But in the original it is like someone (the "we") is welcoming Mario and asking him for help. It doesn't like your example, I guess.

I don't understand what you mean. Where do you get the idea of welcoming and asking for help from?

It's just saying that Princess Toadstool is missing. That's important narrative context that we need to know in order to follow the story.

kadioguy

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
I don't understand what you mean. Where do you get the idea of welcoming and asking for help from?

It's just saying that Princess Toadstool is missing. That's important narrative context that we need to know in order to follow the story.
I mean the whole dialogue. It says "Welcome! This is dinosaur island. In this strange land we find that Princess Toadstool is missing again! Looks like Bowser is at it again!”

This looks to me that it is someone talking to Mario.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No, it's not talking to Mario, it's talking to you, the player.
I don't think I've ever played the game, but is this one of those games where the player assumes the role of the main character - i.e. the player IS Mario?

I know you control the character of Mario, so I guess in some sense the player is Mario.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Then do you think that my post in #3 makes sense?
I don't know why you think I have a perfect memory. (I don't.) My point is that I had to look at post #3 to know what you are talking about. (Reading that gives me a headache.)

Jutfrank is, I think, doing a good job of explaining things.