Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Have I made any mistakes? This is just an exercise.

"We need to buy new curtains," Jo said.
Bob looked up from his newspaper. "What's wrong with them? You bought them last year."
"I see that the neighbour across from us bought a pair that look exactly like ours. I will not be able to sleep if I don't buy a different pair. We need to do that today," Jo said.

Bob shook his head. His morning was spoilt. The coffee he had just drunk gave him heartburn.He hated to go shopping with her. They would spend hours walking from one shop to another until she was satisfied. How I manged to live for more than 50 years with her without getting mad, he wondered. It was freezing cold outside, and the thought of him going out, shovelling the snow from the driveway, trying to start the old car, and driving on the slippery road to town gave him shivers. He heard Jo humming a tune, and he felt anger welling up. Bob often read in the newspapers about men who killed their partners after decades of marriage, and he wondered what had caused them to commit such an awful crime. But the more he thought about his own marriage, the more he understood them. Lately, he was afraid of himself, of his own thoughts and reactions. If he snapped, that would be end of her, but also the end of his freedom.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say:

"What's wrong with the ones we have? They're not even a year old."

If I were Bob I might say:

"No way we're buying new curtains. You'll just have to be happy with the ones we have."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Also:

"I see that the neighbour across the street bought a pair that looks exactly like ours. I won't be able to sleep ...."

Take a sleeping pill.

Status
Not open for further replies.