Member Type
Other
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Hi, what does the expression "what’s not complicated is merely crass" serve for? Why do not say just: "and Saddam was throwing around a lot of money"?
"Ideally, a dictator already known for bombing his own people and hell-bent on becoming a nuclear menace would be shunned by civilized nations. But geopolitics is a complicated business: Several Western powers, including the United States but most notably France, wanted to exert their own influence in the Middle East. And what’s not complicated is merely crass: Saddam was throwing around a lot of money."
Source: Rise and Kill First by Ronen Bergman.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Before we reply, you need to provide the source and author of that quote. It's a legal requirement on this forum, due to strict copyright rules in the UK, where the forum is based.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi, what does the expression "what’s not complicated is merely crass" MEAN? Why NOT JUST SAY: "and Saddam was throwing around a lot of money"?

meliss

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
Before we reply, you need to provide the source and author of that quote. It's a legal requirement on this forum, due to strict copyright rules in the UK, where the forum is based.
Sorry, I forgot. I've been too hurried to put the question :)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry, I forgot. I've added the source to post #1. I've been too hurried I was in a hurry to put when I posted the question. :)
See above. Remember that an emoji is not a substitute for a closing punctuation mark.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
No details are provided, so I have to guess. International relations can certainly be complicated. As for "merely crass," that seems to refer to bribery.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
First, is creates a contrastive cohesive link to the idea of being complicated: Saddam was throwing money around—unlike geopolitics, that's not complicated.

Second, it expresses the writer's opinion that Saddam's behaviour was crass.