Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
There's a street called Tutor Street here in Chongqing. I walked by and I saw a young woman hold a sign saying she could teach English

If I want to know what the young woman thinks of her teaching methods, namely, what are some strengths and weaknesses of her teaching methods. Is it natural to ask:

What are your strengths and weakensses of teaching methods?

She answers "Well, I can teach my students well in their spoken English because I can motivate them to speak and let them watch movies. But my class is a bit boring because I meanwhile ask them to learn some new words by English remembering sentences"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There's a street called Tutor Street here in Chongqing. [Time period required here], I walked by/past it and I saw a young woman holding a sign saying she could teach English.

If I want to know what the young woman thinks of her own teaching methods, namely, what are some strengths and weaknesses of her teaching methods, is it natural to ask the following?

What are [STRIKE]your[/STRIKE] the/some strengths and weaknesses of your teaching methods?

She answers "Well, I can teach [STRIKE]my students well in their[/STRIKE] spoken English well because I can motivate them to speak and let them watch movies, but my class is a bit boring because I [STRIKE]meanwhile[/STRIKE] [also] ask them to learn [STRIKE]some[/STRIKE] new English words by [STRIKE]English[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]remembering[/STRIKE] memorising sentences."

Note my corrections above. I'm confused about the situation. You presented it as a hypothetical. You said you walked past the street and saw that woman, and then asked us whether the wording of your question would be correct if you were to ask her that question. That means you did not ask her that question. However, as marked in blue above, you then say "She answers". Did you mean "She answered", indicating that this conversation really did take place, or did you mean "She might answer", suggesting a hypothetical answer to your hypothetical question.

If the conversation really took place, then saying "If I want to know ..., is it natural to say ...?" is wrong. You should have opened with "I asked her the following question and I would like to know if it was natural".

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
There's a street called Tutor Street here in Chongqing. I [STRIKE]walked by[/STRIKE] was walking there one day and I saw a young woman holding a sign saying she [STRIKE]could[/STRIKE] teaches English.

[STRIKE]If[/STRIKE] I want to know what the young woman thinks of her teaching methods, [STRIKE]namely, what are some[/STRIKE] especially her strengths and weaknesses. [STRIKE]of her teaching methods.[/STRIKE] Is it natural to ask the following?

What are your strengths and weaknesses of teaching methods?
No. It's not natural, grammatical or appropriate. "Strengths and weaknesses" is typically used in formal interviews.

She answers "Well, I can teach my students well in their spoken English because I can motivate them to speak and let them watch movies. But my class is a bit boring because I meanwhile ask them to learn some new words by English remembering sentences"
That has many mistakes too! Did she really say that?
[cross-posted]

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If the conversation really took place, then saying "If I want to know ..., is it natural to say ...?" is wrong. You should have opened with "I asked her the following question and I would like to know if it was natural".

I really took place. I forgot to say (which I thought it wasn't necessary) that I stood there a few years ago and was asked the same questions again and again; students' parents wanted to know that. Thank you so much for pointing out my mistakes.

No. It's not natural, grammatical or appropriate. "Strengths and weaknesses" is typically used in formal interviews.

I notice that emsr2d2 kept those words when she was correcting the question. May I ask for an alternative which is less formal to use in this situation?

That has many mistakes too! Did she really say that?

She did. That was what she roughly said and I used my own words to rephrase it.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It really took place. I forgot to say ([STRIKE]which[/STRIKE] because I thought it wasn't necessary) that I stood there a few years ago and was asked the same questions again and again; students' parents wanted to know [STRIKE]that[/STRIKE] the same information. Thank you so much for pointing out my mistakes.

You need to make it clear when you are quoting a real conversation or sentence. Whenever you start with "If I say/said this ...", we assume you're talking hypothetically. You should have started with "I said" or "I asked her".

I notice that emsr2d2 kept those words when she was correcting the question. May I ask for an alternative which is less formal to use in this situation?

I left them because they're OK. They are, however, quite formal. I'd expect to hear them in something like a job interview. Having said that, I can't think of a less formal way to ask for that specific information. I would find it quite odd to be asked about my weaknesses in the street! If I approached one of these tutors (this is such an unlikely situation in the UK that I'm having trouble really imagining it), I would simply ask "Why should I send my child to you for English classes? What do you do particularly well?"

She did. That was roughly what she [STRIKE]roughly[/STRIKE] said and I used my own words to rephrase it.

Again, you need to make it clear that this was a real conversation. You needed to start with "She said" or "She replied" and tell us that you're paraphrasing it because you can't remember exactly what she said. I sincerely hope that her English was of better quality than that in real life. If there were that many errors in her reply, she's a terrible advert for her own classes.

Status
Not open for further replies.