trankhaihoan

Member Type
Student or Learner
I often see " have a trip " or " take a trip"
when I see " do a trip", I don't know what it means
can you help me?
thank you very much
have a nice day.

You can say: be (away) on/ go on/ have/ make/ take a trip.
Not do a trip.

I'm sure my father used that phrase when referring to his job off-shore. He definitely used to say, 'I've only got to do one more trip before Christmas'.
Whether this is classed as poor English or not, I don't know, but it is a phrase used by oil rig workers.

It sound alright to me, especially if disguised a little so that it doesn't clash with the more usual choices:
When they visited New York, they did a side-trip to Niagara Falls.

I'm sure my father used that phrase when referring to his job off-shore. He definitely used to say, 'I've only got to do one more trip before Christmas'.
Whether this is classed as poor English or not, I don't know, but it is a phrase used by oil rig workers.

Oil-rig workers probably (well, certainly, but I don't know the details) have a job-related jargon. In this, a 'trip' might well mean 'a period of work on the rig [starting and ending with trips]'. The armed forces have a similar sort of jargon: a spell of duty is 'a tour'.

b

In the Oxford Collocations dictionary, 'do a trip' doesn't appear.

I can add other verbs, for example:
come back from, return from, be back from, arrange, organize, plan, book, cancel, extend, cut short and enjoy a trip.

I have consulted three more dictionaries: Cambridge, Longman and Common Errors, with the same result.

'do' commonly combines with a noun phrase to form relatively fixed, idiomatic expressions. In 'do a trip', 'do' has little lexical content. It refers to the performance of an activity that is relevant to the object noun phrase, but it does not specify that activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back