Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
In Russian language we say "rain goes (идет дождь) instead of the English "It rains". In Rus the rain performs the action. That is why the English "It rains" is difficult to me (not the rain a doer but smbd else), though I got used. But when I explain to my kid, it is difficult.
May be you can explain what is meant by "it" in the phrase "it rains"? May be "it" stands for weather? Only ofcourse if you, native English, know it and it really means smth. I also assume you do not need to know that and it doesnt mean anything but just comes naturally because the grammar works this way. Then please explain the grammr. I am sorry to ask abt that as I see that there are 2 pages of questions with the same "it rains" on your Forum, which I have read through but still not clear.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Maybe you can explain what is meant by "it" in the phrase "it rains"?

Experts have differing views on this. I think most would say it has no meaning at all, and that it's nothing more than a grammatical word.

Then please explain the grammar.

It's called a 'dummy pronoun'. Its role is to hold the place of the grammatical subject of the verb.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In Russian, language we say "rain goes" (идет дождь) instead of the English "It rains". In Russian, the rain performs the action. That is why the English "It rains" is difficult to for me to understand/explain (not the rain is not a the doer but smbd somebody else), although I have got used to it. But However, when I try to explain it to my kid, it is difficult.
May be Maybe you can explain what is meant by "it" in the phrase "it rains". May be Maybe "it" stands for weather.
Only, of course, if you, as a native English speaker, know it and that it really means smth something.

I also assume you do not need to know that and it doesn't mean anything but just comes naturally because the grammar works this way.

Then Also, please explain the grammar. I am sorry to ask abt about that this as I see that there are 2 two pages of questions with the same about "it rains" on your forum, which I have read through, but it's still not clear.
Please note my corrections above. Don't use abbreviations such as "smbd", "smth", and "abt" on the forum. Similar shortened versions are used in dictionaries because space is at a premium. They're not used in standard written English.
Note that both your sentences starting with "Maybe" (note that it's a single word) are not questions.
I don't understand the underlined sentence at all.

Bambook

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Please note my corrections above. Don't use abbreviations such as "smbd", "smth", and "abt" on the forum. Similar shortened versions are
Thank yuo so much for giving corrections to my writing. It is all very hepfull for me. Never mind that underlined sentance. Jutfrank explained things very clearly, so no more questions there.

But some more questiones arose. Please comment:
A. Which is correct?:
1. It has stopped raining.
2. The rain has stopped/ceased.

B. In this phrase "It has stopped raining", is the "raining" a noun?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank yuo you so much for giving making corrections to my writing. It is all very hepfull helpful for me. Never mind that underlined sentence. Jutfrank explained things very clearly, so I have no more questions there.

But However, some more questiones questions arose have arisen. Please comment:

A. Which is correct?:
1. It has stopped raining.
2. The rain has stopped/ceased.

B. In this the phrase "It has stopped raining", is the "raining" a noun?
In A, both 1 and 2 are grammatically correct. The first is more common.
In B, "raining" is a gerund (so yes, it is functioning as a noun).