- What have you been up to? - I cleaned up the room, fed the parrot, and started cooking dinner.

Marika33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
I've heard that the aspect of the answer should fit the aspect of the question. For example, if you're asked "What did you do this morning?", the answer in the past continuous, "I was reading a book" would sound odd, therefore it should be, "I read a book". Or if you're asked "Where have you been?", the answer in the past simple, "I played tennis" would sound odd, and therefore it should be, "I've been playing tennis".

So my question is, if a person who has just walked into the room you've been doing something in asks you, "What have you been doing (for the last twenty minutes)?", would it also sound odd to reply with a different aspect, given this is what you mean?

For example,
A: What have you been doing (for the last twenty minutes)? / What have you been up to (for the last twenty minutes)?​
B: Nothing special. I called my brother, talked to him for about 5 minutes, then finished my tea and did the dishes(, and now I'm reading a book). Why (are you asking)?
— These are actions that happend one after another from twenty minutes ago until now / since twenty minutes ago.

Last edited:

Piscean

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Czech Republic
I've heard that the aspect of the answer should fit the aspect of the question. For example, if you're asked "What did you do this morning?", the answer in the past continuous, "I was reading a book" would sound odd, therefore it should be, "I read a book"
Not necessarily. It depends on the message the speaker wishes to get aacoss.
. Or if you're asked "Where have you been?", the answer in the past simple, "I played tennis" would sound odd, and therefore it should be, "I've been playing tennis".
'I played tennis is possible.

Don't take general guidelines as absolute rules.

So my question is, if a person who has just walked into the room you've been doing something in asks you, "What have you been doing (for the last twenty minutes)?", would it also sound odd to reply with a different aspect, given this is what you mean?

For example,
A: What have you been doing (for the last twenty minutes)? / What have you been up to (for the last twenty minutes)?​
B: Nothing special. I called my brother, talked to him for about 5 minutes, then finished my tea and did the dishes(, and now I'm reading a book). Why (are you asking)?​
That response is fine.