What is the difference between "I have been living here since 2015" and "I have lived here since 2015"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riya

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Malayalam
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hi,
I am really confused with these sentences.

I have been living here since 2015: Which indicates I am still living there and continue to live there. ( I started living there from 2015)

I have lived here since 2015 : Does it means that I am not living there now and will not live there?. Or both have the same meaning. (( OR I started living there from 2015 and just vacated the house).

Please explain the difference between these sentences.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The only difference is the aspect. In the first sentence, the progressive aspect expressed by living places an emphasis on the continuous nature of the action.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi,
I am really confused about these sentences.

I have been living here since 2015: Which indicates I am still living here and continue to live here. ( I started living here in 2015)

I have lived here since 2015 : Does it mean that I am not living there now and do not live there?. Or do both have the same meaning? (( OR I started living there in 2015 and just vacated the house).

Please explain the difference between these sentences.
Both mean you are still living there.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"I have lived here since 2015" is theoretically ambiguous. You could be standing outside a house you lived in in 2016/2017/2018 etc but no longer live in. It's unlikely but it's possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.