What is the difference between panel or painting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jsayed

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
My specialty is in artistic 2D design. If i speak about simple drawings with simple colored shapes that hang on the wall ( as islamic motifs ) ( not oil colors ), what can i say panel or painting?
and about the simple contents of this ( panel or painting ), what can i say ornamental or decorative design?

Re: what is the difference between ... ?

What is the medium used? Obviously, a computer-printed picture cannot be called a painting. Calling it a piece of "artwork" would be quite safe.

Re: what is the difference between panel or painting?

Welcome to the forum, Jsayed.

I have improved your thread title. There was no need to leave it incomplete.

My specialty is [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] artistic 2D design. If I speak about simple drawings, not oil colors, with simple colored shapes that hang on the wall, as in Islamic motifs, what can I say, panel or painting?

And about the simple contents of this [no parentheses] panel or painting [no parentheses], what can I say: ornamental or decorative design?
Both ornamental and decorative are correct.

If it's not painted, don't call it a painting. If you drew it, it's a drawing. A panel is a painting with a rigid back, usually wood. A picture painted directly on a wall is a mural.

Always capitalize the pronoun I.

Learn how to use commas so you don't overuse parentheses.

Do you see why I moved "not oil colors"?

Last edited by a moderator:
My specialty is in artistic 2D design. If i speak about simple drawings with simple colored shapes that hang on the wall ( as islamic motifs ) ( not oil colors ), what can i say panel or painting?

I suspect that the word to describe your art is very likely 'geometric', given "simple colored shapes" and the fact that it has an Islamic motif. I'm not sure why you mentioned it not being oil colors. It could be a painting regardless if it's oil, water color, tempera, ink, or acrylic.

and about the simple contents of this ( panel or painting ), what can i say ornamental or decorative design?

Ornamental and decorative are not mutually exclusive - ornamental is decorative. Something ornamental by definition is for decorative purposes.

Could you post some pictures of your work, or give us some links to pictures? It's easiest to help describe it if we can see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back