What was your hometown like when you lived there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Betty King

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
China
I was born in Quincy, a town on the east coast of America, twelve years ago. There were lots of things to do in Quincy, with many stores, two movie theatres, football clubs and basketball teams too. I wasn't bored in Quincy. I was very happy there.
Two presidents of the US, John Adams and his son John Quincy Adams, were born in Quincy. You can visit their old family houses.

What was your hometown like when you lived there?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Smaller and richer- I went back to my hometown after a twenty-year absence and was shocked at how rundown it had become.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Noisy. There is a lot to do in St. Louis. For example, they have a world-class zoo. Also, there's the Muny Opera, which puts productions on every summer. And they have Ted Drewe's Frozen Custard.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I moved to a village (population c 300) in southern England in 1954 at the eight of eight. My parents paid £600 for their house.

We drew water from the well, used candles and oil lamps for lighting, and had a bucket and chuck it toilet at the end of the garden. The village had a C of E church with a rector (three services a day on Sundays), a Methodist chapel, two general stores (one of them also a post office), a butcher's and two pubs. Between 07.30 and 20.00, there were bus services every 60-90 minutes to the cities of Southampton, Portsmouth and Winchester and the market town of Petersfield.

When my mother left the village (population now 630) 45 years later, after selling her house for £175,000, the house had indoor plumbing, electricity and central heating. The village now shares a priest with three other villages and has two services a month. It has no shops or post office and one pub. There are six buses a week (all requiring pre-booking) to various local towns and villages.

Last edited by a moderator:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
When I was born in Toronto in 1946 it was a parochial little outpost of the soon-to-be-defunct British Empire. There were no people of colour. Everyone was white and either Catholic or protestant, apart from small communities of Jews and people of Chinese ancestry. Blue laws were in force. That meant that everything except churches had to be closed on Sunday. And there was only a small handful of restaurants where you could hope to get a decent meal (if it wasn't Sunday).

The contrast with today's Toronto could hardly be more striking. The vast majority of our five million citizens are immigrants and there are many hundreds of good restarants encompassing about 75 ethnic cuisines. (You don't have to settle for just Ethiopian. You can have Eritrean or Somali food instead.)

The winter weather, however, is as bad now as it was then. 🙂

Last edited:

Nxz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
My hometown was in Beijing,it's the capital city of China.
I and my friends often run outside,play with little insects,and fly kites when we were young.Those interesting things were very attractive.For me,I often take many kinds of vehicles to visit Beijing when l was young,and l also do it now.Vehicles like buses are slow,you can find many beautiful sights in the most common place when you're taking buses.
l like Beijing very much,because there're many beautiful places in Beijing are waiting for me to visit,and l'm looking forward to visiting them.
There are many famous people were born in Beijing.For example,Laoshe.He is a famous writer.He is called "people's artist".
lf you come to my hometown,you can visit many famous and old places,such as the Palace Museum,the Summer Palace,the Fragrant Hill,and so on.

Let

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I was born in Beijing, the capital city of China. It's on the north of China.
Beijing was a city with lots of historical sites, such as the Palace Museum and the Great Wall, those sites were quite attractive for our Beijing people. We could learn more about Chinese history through visiting them, and feel the great culture accumulated over thousands of years. There were also many beautiful landscapes, such as the Fragrant Hill. With those sites, we were happy in Beijing, because all of us could get a lot of physical and mental happiness. I'm looking forward to visiting more sites in Beijing in the future.
Because of the great cultural background of Beijing, many famous writers were born in Beijing. For example, Laoshe was a famous writer with many well-known novels. Because of the great contribution he made to the Chinese modern literature, he earned the title of People's Artist.
Beijing has been developing all the time. I'm sure that in the future, Beijing will becoming more and more international with deep-accumulated culture, beautiful natural landscapes and well-developed economy!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@Nxz Please post that in a separate thread so I can point out the errors. (Maybe a moderator will move it.)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@Nxz Please post that in a separate thread so I can point out the errors. (Maybe a moderator will move it.)
There is now a new thread for the post you referred to, in Ask A Teacher.

Status
Not open for further replies.