what's been going on while you've been resting (until now) --> what went/was going on while you rested/were resting (same action in the past)

Marika33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
This is a line said by Scribe Rothchild from Fallout 3.
  • Has he told you what's been going on while you've been resting? (present perfect)
As far as I'm able to understand the present perfect continuous is used here because the situation 1) either continues until now 2) or finished in the recent past but has present consequences, but what does one say in a situation which neither continues until now (= it isn't going on any longer, hasn't been for a while now), nor the consequenes of which are important or seen now?
Which of these would you choose? If you will say, it depends on context, please give me some for each.
  • Has he told you what was going on while you were resting? (past continuous)
  • Has he told you what went on while you rested? (past simple)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
If you will say, it depends on context, please give me some for each.
  • Has he told you what was going on while you were resting? (past continuous)
  • Has he told you what went on while you rested? (past simple)
No.

You have submitted dozens of questions on similar topics. Why don't you apply what you have learnt to this?

Marika33

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Netherlands
You have submitted dozens of questions on similar topics. Why don't you apply what you have learnt to this?
The problem is that you never gave clear answers. Now, I have asked it in a way that will probably let you explain it better.

(Unnecessary comment removed - moderator.)

Last edited by a moderator: