What's the meaning of " foam lifting" here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamine.bkr

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
This is the only context I have:

Kleen-Sheen® is a non-soap, foam lifting shampoo to cleanse and soften the coat with a built-in conditioner and a color highlighter for a professional, glossy appearance.

Any references are appreciated!

Thank you!

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
A bit of googling indicates that this is agricultural jargon. I've certainly never encountered it before, but it is clear that it is not the foam that is lifted, but the animal's hair. Apparently lifted hair enhances the animal's appearance at livestock shows.

I'm still not exactly clear what lifted hair looks like, but unless you are a beef farmer you'll probably never run across this terminology again.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I have found ads for lifting shampoo for humans; it lifts and gives volume to hair. The original would make more sense without a comma.

Kleen-Sheen® would then become a lifting shampoo which is foam rather than a liquid or cream,. The foam is non-soap.

Lamine.bkr

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
A bit of googling indicates that this is agricultural jargon. I've certainly never encountered it before, but it is clear that it is not the foam that is lifted, but the animal's hair. Apparently lifted hair enhances the animal's appearance at livestock shows.

I'm still not exactly clear what lifted hair looks like, but unless you are a beef farmer you'll probably never run across this terminology again.
Thanks @probus, can you guess the real meaning of "lifting" here, I would say does it mean raising hair up or making it abundant?

Lamine.bkr

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
I have found ads for liting shampoo for humans;- it lifts and gives volume to hair. The original would make more sense without a comma..

Kleen-Sheen® would then become a liftng shampoo which is foam rather than a liquid or cream,. The foam is non-soap.
Thanks @5jj. The same question: can you guess the real meaning of "lifting" here, I would say does it mean raising hair up or making it abundant?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Thanks @probus, can you guess the real meaning of "lifting" here, I would say does it mean raising hair up or making it abundant?
Yes, but look more abundant. Nothing really makes hair more abundant.

As an aside I once heard a dermatologist being interviewed about Minoxydil. The question was "Minoxydil claims to increase hair growth 100% in a year. What does that really mean?" The doctor replied "Last year you had twelve hairs. Now you've got twenty-four " 😀😀😀

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We don't correct people here although we do correct their grammar.

Lamine.bkr

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
We don't correct people here although we do correct their grammar.
You mean I should say: thanks for correcting my grammar, not for correcting me?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Lamine.bkr, in future, please give us the source in your first post. That would save us time and effort in trying to investigate such phrases.
I see now from that link that it was written by a non-native speaker of English, and since the meaning is unclear, It's not worth investigating. Forget about it.

Lamine.bkr

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Lamine.bkr, in future, please give us the source in your first post. That would save us time and effort in trying to investigate such phrases.
I see now from that link that it was written by a non-native speaker of English, and since the meaning is unclear, It's not worth investigating. Forget about it.
Who said it was written by a non-native speaker? That person is a translator from English to Arabic, he just copied it from his source text (English source) and pasted it there looking for its meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.