Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hello,

In my language, we have a saying that literally translates to "when you are under water, it doesn't matter if you are 1 meter under, or 100 meter under". It means you are in such a bad a situation that it really doesn't matter what happens anymore. You basically have nothing to lose and you shouldn't worry anymore and let go! Worrying is pointless as the situation is already messed up!

Is there a similar idiom in English?

I am already familiar with "hitting the rock bottom" but it is not an exact equivalent for this.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In for a penny, in for a pound.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am already familiar with "hitting [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] rock bottom" but it is not an exact equivalent for this.
A miss is as good as a mile?

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Let me give you an example of when this is used:

Jack: Dude, why did you quit your job? Laura broke up with you and now you leave your job?
Jim: Well, I have nothing to lose. I don't care about anything anymore. If I'm lonely, I might as well be jobless. When you are under water, it doesn't matter if you are 1 meter under, or 100 meter under.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I have to point out that it's not always used in extreme situations like this. Sometimes it's used humorously.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Yes. The saying has been around a long time. We used have pounds, too. Denominations changed. The saying didn't.

Can you think of an idiom that fits this situation Charlie?

Jack: Dude, why did you quit your job? Laura broke up with you and now you leave your job?
Jim: Well, I have nothing to lose. I don't care about anything anymore. If I'm lonely, I might as well be jobless. When you are under water, it doesn't matter if you are 1 meter under, or 100 meter under.

Status
Not open for further replies.