[Grammar] which one is correct 'i have worked there for 4 months or i was workin there for 4 mo

Status
Not open for further replies.

natshakhlil

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France
Hey

Which one is correct 'I have worked there for 4 months or I was working there for 4 months'

The second question is I have grown up in France and I have studied English there or I grew up in France and I studied English there' please explain why

I think that the best answer is I grew up in France and I have studied English there . But I don't know why I used it

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hey.

Which one is correct? 'I have worked there for 4 months" or "I was working there for 4 months".

The second question is whether I should use "I have grown up in France and I have studied English there" or "I grew up in France and I studied English there". Please explain why.

I think that the best answer is "I grew up in France and I have studied English there" but I don't know why I used it.

First, please note my corrections above. It is very important to start every sentence with a capital letter and to end every sentence with a single, appropriate punctuation mark. Enclose each suggested sentence within its own set of quotation marks.

With your first example, both of your sentences work. However, the version with the present perfect suggests that you still work there. The version with the past continuous suggests that you no longer work there.

For your second question, use "I grew up in ...". The period of growing up is over so the simple past is appropriate. Also, we don't use "I have grown up" with time periods or places. You can say something like "I used to be really childish and immature but I have grown up now! I have a job, a mortgage and a family. I've really grown up!"

Please note that in future you should post separate questions in separate threads. It avoids potentially confusing responses as some users might want to answer one question but not the other.

Status
Not open for further replies.