Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
Hello All,
I want to know what does 'scale' mean in the following context:

"Leisure activity is n't just for fun, says a University of Florida psychologist who has developed a scale that classifies hobbies based on needs they satisfy in people...."

I couldn't find corresponding meaning for the scale form the below link.
http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/scale_1

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I don't see the problem. Your own language uses 'scala' with the same meaning: "Ha sviluppato una scala per classificare i valori."
And my Italian dictionary translates 'scale' into 'scala' as its main translation.
Anyhow if you want to do in the difficult way, look at #4 in the dictionary you've cited, and #2 and #3 here
http://www.wordreference.com/iten/scala

nininaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Italian
Home Country
Italy
Current Location
India
This is the quote from someone else's help:
"It means a measurement within a defined parameter. Such as when someone asks you to rate something on a scale of 1-10. One usually represents a low end, and ten represents the best possible score.

So it's a measurement within a defined parameter called a score. But in your example, 1 might represent sedentary hobbies or hobbies for children. And 10 might represent mind-blowing energetic hobbies or hobbies meant for old people. But since I don't know the parameters (what traits we're measuring) I can't say for sure. But that's what it means by "scale"."

Boris Tatarenko

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Not a teacher nor a native speaker.

"Scale" in English and "scala" in Italian mean the same thing. You just can draw a parallel between your mother tongue and English, even if sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.