Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
This screenshot is from "Oxford Discover Grammar" by Lesley Koustaff and Susan Rivers. According to the book it's wrong to use "who" when talking about animals but in this text it says: "Who's this?" It's Anak." It's an orangutan. Could you please explain it to me?

IMG_20210427_132351.jpg

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
'Who's this?' is fine when you're asking the name of an animal.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
'Who's this?' is fine when you're asking the name of an animal.

Instead of asking someone "what's your dog's or cat's name?" I can say "who is this?" and "who is that?" if referring to more than one animal I can use "who are these/those?" Do I understand correctly?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Instead of asking someone, "What's your dog's or cat's name?" Can I say "Who is this?" and "Who is that?" If referring to more than one animal, can use "Who are these/those?" Do I understand correctly?
Corrections:

Rachel, as I recall, you can't see our italics or colors or boldface when we make corrections. So: Notice the added commas and capitals. Notice that I changed "I can" to "Can I" twice. Questions do not usually start with "I can."

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Corrections:

Rachel, as I recall, you can't see our italics or colors or boldface when we make corrections. So: Notice the added commas and capitals. Notice that I changed "I can" to "Can I" twice. Questions do not usually start with "I can."

Thank you. I rephrased the explanation to make sure I didn't misunderstand it. I didn't write the questions but the statements instead. I thought it wasn't wrong. But is my understanding of the original explanation correct?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Your original was correct, Rachel. You started with "I can", followed it with three possible questions in quotes, and ended with a full stop. You then asked "Do I understand correctly?" If you hadn't added that final question, you would have had to start with "Can I" and end with a question mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.