Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
UK
Dear teacher,
I am confuses with the lyric ‘everybody ride her’ . Why JayZ used ride rather than ‘rides
Does it is a subjective sentence ( ‘would ride’ the would has been eliminated?

Hi graceowl, and welcome to the forum. :)
Your English is seemingly quite poor, so if you're a bona fide learner, I suggest you focus on reading quality material and on getting a good grasp of basic grammar instead of asking questions about meaningless trashy lyrics such as the above.

Dear teacher, Hello. (You don't need to start with "Dear + anything". You're not writing a letter.)

I am confused with about/by the lyric ‘Everybody ride her’.

Why does/did Jay-Z used use "ride" rather than "rides"? Does Is it is a subjective sentence? Has the "would" from ‘would ride’ the would has been eliminated omitted

Please note my corrections above.

As teechar has indicated, song lyrics are not a good way to learn English. Lyrics often don't follow the rules of grammar. Use well-written sources of English to help you improve your mastery of the language.

I agree there's little use in analyzing song lyrics for grammar, but there are two possible answers:

1) It's meant to be an imperative sentence. Compare it to 'Everybody go home'.
2) He's rapping in a particular nonstandard variety of English known by several different names (African American Vernacular English, Black English, Ebonics, or various other terms).

One of the aspects of this variety is that there is no verb conjugation in the present tense, which of course means dropping the third person singular marker 's'.

I think the latter is probably the more likely case, but yet again - don't learn grammar from song lyrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back