Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
My friend Kevin sent me something to read today. It says that for all the IELTS candidates in China, starting from this April, can re-take the one part of the IELTS test. For example, if you're not satisfied with your speaking part, pay 1400 yuan and take it again. Then I told my student's parent this news. Then the parent asked me "Will her school acknowledge this?"

The parent was wondering if the school my student wants to apply for will accept the result of the "retake". Usually there's only one chance for a candidate to sit for one test each time. The results of speaking, listening, reading and writing can't be changed once they finish the test. Now, new policy is coming.

Is the italic question okay?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My friend Kevin sent me something to read today. It says that for all the IELTS candidates in China, starting from this April, can re-take the one part of the IELTS test. For example, if you're not satisfied with your speaking part oral result, pay 1400 yuan and take it again. Then I told my student's parent this news. Then the parent asked me "Will her school acknowledge this?"
Note my corrections to the first couple of sentences. Imagine my dismay when I found that the next two sentences started with "Then". You're slipping back into old habits. At that point, I stopped reading. Rewrite the sentences after "take it again", and later I'll take a look at the rest of the piece. (Don't just remove "Then" and leave the rest.)

Silverobama

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Note my corrections to the first couple of sentences. Imagine my dismay when I found that the next two sentences started with "Then". You're slipping back into old habits. At that point, I stopped reading. Rewrite the sentences after "take it again", and later I'll take a look at the rest of the piece. (Don't just remove "Then" and leave the rest.)
Sorry, for that. Here's my new attempt:

............... I sent my student's parent this news and the parent asked me the question "Will her school acknowledge this?"

The parent was wondering if the school her daughter (my student) has been applying for would accept the result of the "retake test". Usually there's only one chance for a candidate to sit for one test each time. The results of speaking, listening, reading and writing can't be changed once they finish the test. Now, new policy is coming. Candidates who take the IELTS tests can take the test of one of the four parts again if they're not happy with the first result.

Is my italic sentence good? I think a better expression is "Will her school admit that?". I don't know so I asked the parent to consult her daughter's head teacher.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
"Will her school acknowledge accept this?"