With federal agents and the best bounty hunters in the nation massing on their heels

mrmvp

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
United Arab Emirates
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Does "with" mean "because" and If I change "with" to "because" is it correct?

With federal agents and the best bounty hunters in the nation massing on their heels, the gang must rob, steal and fight their way across the rugged heartland of America in order to survive.

Another question does "massing on their heels" mean the bounty hunters are in a large number to chase the gang.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Does "with" mean "because" and If I change "with" to "because" is it correct? No and no.

With federal agents and the best bounty hunters in the nation massing on their heels, the gang must rob, steal and fight their way across the rugged heartland of America in order to survive.

Another question does "massing on their heels" mean the bounty hunters are in a large number to chase the gang Basically, yes, although the large group chasing the gang is a mixture of both bounty hunters and federal agents, not just bounty hunters.

See above.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Does "with" mean "because"
Roughly, yes. It means given those circumstances.
and If I change "with" to "because" is it correct?
"because" shows a more direct causal relationship, whereas "with" explains the context/circumstances that are (directly or indirectly and to whatever extent) contributing to the result.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic