Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Which of these sentences is better? Grammar books or books on grammar? Grammar rules or rules of grammar?
Thanks in advance.

These are not sentences, just groups of words. Depending on the rest of the sentence, one might be better than the other, but without more context, they're equal.

Both are acceptable. I would say "books on grammar" is more formal than "grammar books".

Sorry, I wrote sentence instead of 'phrases or group of words'
I give you some contexts: 'These explanations are in grammar books/ in books on grammar' According to the rules of grammar/ grammar rules, what you've written is incorrect.

I also say books on grammar, but I want to know if the other prhases are correct too.

Last edited:
Please edit the above to correct the spelling of phrase(s).

'These explanations are in grammar books/ in books on grammar'
I think you can simply say 'These explanations are in grammars', but I am not a teacher.

In BrE at least, we don't use "grammars" as a replacement for "grammar books".

I think 'book about grammar' sounds right.

not a teacher.

A book about grammar is not the same as a grammar book.

A book about grammar is not the same as a grammar book.

Isn't 'a grammar book' 'a book about grammar? Or is it 'book of grammar'?

A grammar book contains all the technical aspects of grammar for whatever language it covers. A book about grammar could just be a book about the history of grammar or the differences between grammar in different languages, for example. It would probably give a few examples but it would not be the kind of book a learner would need in order to study the grammar of a specific language.

What about 'book of grammar'?

It's OK but we usually use "grammar book".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back