Native Language
Danish
Home Country
Denmark
Current Location
Denmark
Hi. What is the meaning of 'work' here?

Dialog (that I wrote):

FRIEND/COLLEAGUE: Look, I know he only wants the best for you. So do I. I want to see you back at work, and--
GUY: Work? I don't care about work.
FRIEND/COLLEAGUE: ...I know. You don't care about anything, and I'm just trying to understand what's going on with you.

Questions:
- Would the Guy's line of dialog be perfectly natural here in respons to the Friend's/Colleague's line?
- Is it perfectly natural to use 'work' here to mean 'my job'?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi. What is the meaning of 'work' here?

Dialog (that I wrote):

FRIEND/COLLEAGUE: Look, I know he only wants the best for you. So do I. I want to see you back at work, and--
GUY: Work? I don't care about work.
FRIEND/COLLEAGUE: no ellipsis here I know. You don't care about anything, and I'm just trying to understand what's going on with you.

Questions:
- Would the guy's line of dialog be perfectly natural here in response to the friend's/colleague's line?
- Is it perfectly natural to use 'work' here to mean 'my job'?

Thank you. Don't thank us in advance. Thank us after we help you, by clicking on the "Thank" button (hover over "Like").

Note my corrections above.
When I first read your dialogue, I assumed that "Guy" was the man's name. However, later you referred to him as "the Guy". If it's not his name, it shouldn't be capitalised in the middle of a sentence. The same goes for "friend" and "colleague".

Note that I have changed your thread title. Your question or request should appear only in the main body of your post. Titles should be unique and should include some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you are asking us about.

Status
Not open for further replies.