Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
At 01:37 of [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77kCUlOsr6c&t=97s] the caller supposedly says "would get hold of the utility companies". I would like to catch the meaning of "get hold of" with the reference to "utility companies" What a synonym phrase could be?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
At 01:37 of [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77kCUlOsr6c&t=97s] the caller supposedly says "would get hold of the utility companies". I would like to catch understand the meaning of "get hold of" with the reference to "utility companies" What would a synonym phrase could be?
He does say "get hold of the utility companies". Because he goes on to mention a windfall tax, I think he's suggesting, metaphorically, that he would like to grab hold of them and almost shake millions of pounds of profit out of them.

Note my changes above. Don't use "catch" instead of "understand". We sometimes use it to refer to not hearing something - "Could you repeat that please? I didn't quite catch it". That means "I didn't quite hear what you said". Remember the right way to construct a question.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
get hold of = tax

svetlana14

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Ukrainian
Home Country
Ukraine
Current Location
Ukraine
He does say "get hold of the utility companies". Because he goes on to mention a windfall tax, I think he's suggesting, metaphorically, that he would like to grab hold of them and almost shake millions of pounds of profit out of them.

Note my changes above. Don't use "catch" instead of "understand". We sometimes use it to refer to not hearing something - "Could you repeat that please? I didn't quite catch it". That means "I didn't quite hear what you said". Remember the right way to construct a question.
What is the difference between "What would a synonym phrase be" and "What could a synonym phrase be"?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What is the difference between "What would a synonym phrase be" and "What could a synonym phrase be"?

For the purposes of what you mean to ask, nothing.

Ostap

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
"Would" sounds more certain than "could" in that context. By the way, it's "synonymous phrase".

Status
Not open for further replies.