Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
When someone follows a person the person being followed it ahead of the person who's following him. For example, if Jhon follows Jack, Jack is ahead of Jhon.

But I get while using 'followed by' when talking about incidents. For example, if we say "The storm was quickly followed by a massive flood."

Since the storm was followed, doesn't it mean that the flood occurred before the storm? Or is it the other way around?

Jack was followed by John is the passive version of "John followed Jack." The same applies to the storm and the flood.

Since the storm was followed, doesn't it mean that the flood occurred before the storm? Or is it the other way around?

Do floods often precede the storms? It is normally rain first, floods second.

Jack was followed by John is the passive version of "John followed Jack." The same applies to the storm and the flood.

I see. So the concept is the same as when a person follows another person. The storm came first and then the flood followed.

When it comes to charts. Say if the highest percentage is 16% and the second highest is 14%. Can I say Sweden holds the highest position, which is 16%, followed by Ireland, at 14%"?

When someone follows a person, the person being followed [STRIKE]it[/STRIKE] is ahead of the person who's following him. For example, if John follows Jack, Jack is ahead of John.

But I get confused with the use of [STRIKE]while using[/STRIKE] 'followed by' when talking about incidents. For example, if we say "The storm was quickly followed by a massive flood."

Since the storm was followed by the flood, doesn't it mean that the flood occurred before the storm? Or is it the other way around?
I don't see the reason for your confusion. See above replies, and if you don't believe us, substitute "A" and "B", and you'll see that the formula applies to people and events in the same way.

I see. So the concept is the same as when a person follows another person. The storm came first and then the flood followed.
Yes.

When it comes to charts, say if the highest percentage (Sweden) is 16% and the second highest (Ireland) is 14%, can I say Sweden holds the highest position, which is 16%, followed by Ireland, at 14%"?
Yes, you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back