Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
[FONT=&quot]I'm interested in the word loch /[/FONT][FONT=&quot]lɒx[/FONT][FONT=&quot]/.
How is this final sound /x/different from the /h/ sound and does it appear in any other words that we commonly use? [/FONT]

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Most Anglophones pronounce loch like "lock".

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
does it appear in any other words that we commonly use?

It is found in some Scottish words, but many English speakers use /k/ instead.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I'm interested in the word loch /lɒx/.
How is this final sound /x/different from the /h/ sound and does it appear in any other words that we commonly use?
Listen to the audio in the link below, particularly to how he pronounces the word "back" in "I had to go back, etc."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scouse

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Click HERE to listen to six native speakers pronounce "loch". None of them ends it with a "ck" sound - they all use the dialectically correct throaty sound at the end, which is how it's pronounced in Irish and Scottish variants. If it's any help, it's almost the same sound as a "j" in Spanish.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I pronounce "loch" with the /x/ sound, but I think I'm pretty rare for an American. I grew up surrounded by speakers of languages that use the /x/ phoneme - Yiddish, Hebrew, Polish, Russian, German, and Spanish - so it came naturally to me.

The Cambridge dictionary's American and British sound files both use only the /k/ sound. I was a bit surprised to see that MacMillan, an American dictionary, lists both the /k/ and the /x/ variants.

Last edited:

Meja

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Serbo-Croatian
Home Country
Serbia
Current Location
Serbia
Click HERE to listen to six native speakers pronounce "loch". None of them ends it with a "ck" sound - they all use the dialectically correct throaty sound at the end, which is how it's pronounced in Irish and Scottish variants. If it's any help, it's almost the same sound as a "j" in Spanish.
I do not know much about Spanish sounds, but the sound /h/ in my language is also different from the English /h/. When we pronounce our /h/, the air does not flow so freely as in the English /h/ since the root of the tongue participates partly in its articulation, but I am not sure how similar it is to this /x/ sound.

. I was a bit surprised to see that MacMillan, an American dictionary, lists both the /k/ and the /x/ variants.
Is there a special MacMillan dictionary for American English? There is only the British pronunciation in the one I use.

The Cambridge dictionary's American and British sound files both use only the /k/ sound.
The initial sound sounds very different in these two pronunciations. The second (US) might be difficult for me to understand.

Thanks for the answers.

Status
Not open for further replies.