Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I don't understand "on stage" - if you watch from home, how can you "watch on stage"?

I guess it means "to perform" - the plays and musicals will be performed and you can watch them from home.

Am I on the right track?

======================
16 Broadway Plays and Musicals You Can Watch On Stage From Home
BY LOGAN CULWELL-BLOCK
JUL 06, 2020

From Hamilton to Newsies, we’re running down some of the best filmed Broadway shows—and where to find them.

Source: Playbill
https://www.playbill.com/article/16-broadway-plays-and-musicals-you-can-watch-on-stage-from-home

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The wording is a bit careless. The writer was thinking about a live, on-stage performance.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
You watch the filmed version of the play.

I think it is more likely that you watch the real-time performance by actors/actresses on stage. You can watch a filmed versioin at any time and it doesn't sound attractive.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think it is more likely that you watch the real-time performance by actors/actresses on stage. You can watch a filmed versioin at any time and it doesn't sound attractive.
Read the quote again.

GoodTaste

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Read the quote again.

The phrase "we’re running down some of the best filmed Broadway shows" appears to mean "we're searching some of the best filmed Broadway shows and will present them to you to watch."

Well, it sounds a bit odd because today's audience love to search anything themselves. Why do they want to wait their running down if the shows were already filmed? If filmed and delayed the debut, what worth is left? Time is money and being in time to release newly filmed shows is key to success.

PeterCW

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The phrase "we’re running down some of the best filmed Broadway shows" appears to mean "we're searching some of the best filmed Broadway shows and will present them to you to watch."

Well, it sounds a bit odd because today's audience love to search anything themselves. Why do they want to wait their running down if the shows were already filmed? If filmed and delayed the debut, what worth is left? Time is money and being in time to release newly filmed shows is key to success.

The article is a summary of recordings that have been released at various times in the past. With theatres being closed due to the COVID-19 crisis I think that the editor simply needed to construct a relevant feature to fill some space.

One of the problems with editing any regular publication, in print or online, is that you need to keep producing fresh material even if there is nothing new happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.