giddyman

Member Type
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I should ask you this for some reason. Is it okay to omit the word "your" in the following sentence? Thank you.

You should do (your) homework.

Last edited:
I should ask you this for some reason. Is it okay to omit the word "your" in the following sentence? Thank you.

It's OK I think...
There's nothing wrong in it...

No it isn't. Without "your", it could mean, "You should do someone else's homework; You should do homework unrelated to your studies ..."
But generally it would mean, "You should do some homework."
"Your homework" means the homework you've been given by your teacher.

No it isn't. Without "your", it could mean, "You should do someone else's homework; You should do homework unrelated to your studies ..."
But generally it would mean, "You should do some homework."
"Your homework" means the homework you've been given by your teacher.

I always do my own homework, then I didn't think about what you've written above..
:-D
Thanks for it. ^.~

As Raymott as said, the problem is one of meaning and logic rather than grammar. There are plenty of cases where the article isn't used with homework, but this is one where it's better with it.

As Raymott as said, the problem is one of meaning and logic rather than grammar. There are plenty of cases where the article isn't used with homework, but this is one where it's better with it.
I see your point, but it would be a strange way to ask whether a sentence is grammatically correct. It's strikes me as being like wanting to know whether "Is he?" a sentence; so you ask whether it's OK to remove the word "dead" from the sentence "Is he dead?" :)
The answer is, "Well, yes and no".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back