Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Would you please correct the mistakes in the second part of my short story?

“Good evening, good people.”
“Good evening, Father Christmas,” They answered in unison like star-struck children.
“This is a special evening. You’re the luckiest couple on earth. I’m going to grant you a wish. You can get any thing you want.”
“Only one?” They looked at each other in disappointment. “Not three?”
“I’m Father Christmas and not Golden Fish; we must follow our strict rules and regulations, otherwise you’ll lose your license.”

They stood pondering in silence, and then Steve said, “I want a Ferrari.”
“A Ferrari, right, what colour?
“Red.”
“OK.” Father Christmas said and inhaled deeply, his chest expanding like a balloon.”

“Please wait,” Maria said. “Why don’t you need another car? You take care of your Audi as if it were a baby. You polish it twice a day and listen to the engine every day to hear if anything is wrong. You don’t even dare to drive it when it rains for fear it will rust.”

“The car is fifteen years old. It is well-maintained, but years are taking their toll. By the way, I’ve dreamt of driving a Ferrari since I was a child. “Wouldn’t you like to sit inside a red Ferrari, with the engine roaring and we two speeding down the motorway, free and flying like birds?”

“No, I wouldn’t. You’d look pathetic now when you are almost 50. Have you ever looked yourself in the mirror? Man, you’ll be soon bald. Who do you want to impress with an expensive toy, maybe teenage girls?”

“Please madam, tell me your wish,” said Father Christmas in a soft voice. He was eyeing her up, although she was swathed in a thick coat which hid her curvy body.
Maria thought for a few seconds before saying, “I think we need new furniture.”
Her husband snorted, “There is nothing wrong with our furniture. It’s as old as my car. You never made a fuss about it before.”
“How could I when I know what you’d say. I know how stingy you’re.”

“I stingy? You never lacked anything since you married me.”
“My friends told me hundreds of times that I need better furniture because of my quality needlepoint and embroidery, but I didn’t dare to ask you because I didn’t want an argument.”
“Listen, people”, said Father Christmas. Shell we say furniture to end this dispute.”
“Don’t listen to her,” Steve shouted. “You know that women are irrational. We don’t need any furniture. You can come with us and see for yourself.”
“Sure he can come and sit in our sagging sofa and armchairs.”
“Rubbish!” Steve shouted.
“Solid, carved furniture to match my embroidery.”
“Please!” Steve moaned.

Father Christmas grew impatient. He had a date this evening with a woman he had planned to marry soon. He was tired of living alone and freezing in long winter nights. She was large, and her soft body was going to warm her like a furnace. He had no time for stupid humans and their petty arguments. He sneaked off and disappeared into the night.
The couple became louder. Their angry voices reverberated in the quiet street. Soon, lights went up in the expensive homes, windows opened, and someone shouted, “Drunks, go home!”

Maria and Steve couldn’t hear them because they had the worst row of their life. They yelled at each other as if they were hard of hearing. They indeed looked like two drunks quarrelling. They were so engrossed in their argument that they had not noticed the police car coming along the street. Two police officers, one short, and another tall walked up to them, and first when the tall one said, “Hey, what’s going on here?” Maria and Steve jolted as if awaken from a dream. Their eyes searched up and down the street for Father Christmas, but he was nowhere to be seen.

“We met Father Christmas a few minutes ago. He promised to grant us a —, “Maria said before being interrupted by Steve.
“Yes. True. I wished a red Ferrari, and he would surely give it to me were it not for my wife who wanted bloody furniture.”
“Father Christmas?” The tall police officer said, smiling and winking at his colleague.
“Maybe you should drink less.”
“We didn’t ---.” Maria couldn’t finish her sentence

He put up his palm. “No offence has been committed, Go home, please, and don’t try to drive.”

They sat in their car and watched the couple from behind as they trudged through the snow, still talking aloud and gesticulating. “Let’s hope they don’t kill each other,” said the short one, and they both guffawed before making a U-turn and driving off. For any bachelor who would meet Maria and Steve in such an agitate state that evening, they would appear as a typical couple under Christmas shopping stress, making hell for each other. He would be laughing smugly for himself, praising his luck for being a single.
THE END

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First paragraph. Say:

You may ask for anything you want.

Or:

You can have anything you want.

I am not sure I understand the thing about a liccense, but if anybody has a license to lose wouldn't it be Father Christmas?

(More later.)

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Tarhee,
This is a tale, and in this tale Father Christmas needs a license, and also he has to follows a certain rules.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tarheel,
This is a tale, and in this tale Father Christmas needs a license, and also he has to follow certain rules.

Then I got that right. It's Father Christmas who needs the license.

(Please note changes.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Back to the first paragraph. Try:

"Only one thing? Not three?"

"I'm Father Christmas, not Golden Fish. I must follow strict rules and regulations. Otherwise I'll lose my license."

Back to bed! (I will finish after breakfast.)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Would you please correct the mistakes in the second part of my short story?

“Good evening, good people.”

“Good evening, Father Christmas,” They answered in unison like star-struck children.

“This is a special evening. You’re the luckiest couple on earth. I’m going to grant you a wish. You can get anything you want.”

“Only one?” They looked at each other in disappointment. “Not three?”

“I’m Father Christmas, not Golden Fish. We must follow our strict rules and regulations, otherwise we'd lose our licenses.” (or: otherwise I'd lose my license)

They stood pondering in silence, and then Steve said, “I want a Ferrari.”
“A Ferrari. Right. What colour?
“Red.”
“OK.” Father Christmas said and inhaled deeply, his chest expanding like a balloon. (delete ")

“Please wait,” Maria said. “Why do you need another car? You take care of your Audi as if it were a baby. (or: You baby your Audi.) You polish it twice a day and listen to the engine every day to hear if anything is wrong. You don’t even (unnecessary: dare to) drive it when it rains for fear it will rust.”

“The car is fifteen years old. It is well-maintained, but years are taking their toll. And I’ve dreamt of driving a Ferrari since I was a child. (delete ") Wouldn’t you like to sit inside a red Ferrari, with the engine roaring and we two speeding down the motorway, free and flying like birds?”

“No, I wouldn’t. You’d look pathetic now when you are almost fifty. Have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror? Man, you’ll be bald soon. Who do you want to impress with an expensive toy? Maybe teenage girls?”

“Please madam, tell me your wish,” said Father Christmas in a soft voice. He was eyeing her up and down, although she was swathed in a thick coat which hid her curvy body. (Does that sentence advance the story?)

Her husband snorted, “There is nothing wrong with our furniture. (Delete "It's as old as my car." Since he thinks his car is too old, that's an argument in favor of new furniture.) You never made a fuss about it before.”

“How could I when I know what you’d say. I know how stingy you’re.”

“I'm stingy? You've never lacked anything since you married me.

“My friends told me hundreds of times that I need better furniture because of my quality needlepoint and embroidery, but I didn’t dare to ask you because I didn’t want an argument.”

“Listen, people”, said Father Christmas. Shall we say furniture to end this dispute?(Do the British spell it "shell"?)
“Don’t listen to her,” Steve shouted. “You know that women are irrational. We don’t need any furniture. You can come with us and see for yourself.”

“Sure, he can come and sit in our sagging sofa and armchairs.”

“Solid, carved furniture to go with/complement my embroidery.” (Do you know the difference between complement and compliment? They're pronounced the same way. Either would fit here but would mean different things.)

“Please!” Steve moaned.

Father Christmas grew impatient. He had a date this evening with a woman he (delete had) planned to marry soon. He was tired of living alone and freezing in long winter nights. She was large, and her soft body was going to warm him like a furnace. He had no time for stupid humans and their petty arguments. He sneaked off and disappeared into the night.

The couple became louder. Their angry voices reverberated in the quiet street. Soon, lights went up in the expensive homes (What expensive homes?), windows opened, and someone shouted, “Drunks, go home!”

Maria and Steve couldn’t hear them because they had the worst row of their lives. They yelled at each other as if they were hard of hearing. They indeed looked like two drunks quarrelling. They were so engrossed in their argument that they had not noticed the police car coming along the street. Two police officers, one short, and another tall, walked up to them, and (delete first) when the tall one said, “Hey, what’s going on here?” Maria and Steve jolted as if awaken from a dream. Their eyes searched up and down the street for Father Christmas, but he was nowhere to be seen.

“We met Father Christmas a few minutes ago. He promised to grant us a —, “Maria said before being interrupted by Steve.

“Yes. True. I wished for a red Ferrari, and he would surely give it to me were it not for my wife who wanted bloody furniture.”

“Father Christmas?” The tall police officer said, smiling and winking at his colleague.

“Maybe you should drink less.”

“We didn’t ---.” Maria couldn’t finish her sentence.

He put up his palm. “No offence has been committed, Go home, please, and don’t try to drive.”

They sat in their car and watched the couple from behind as they trudged through the snow, still talking aloud and gesticulating. “Let’s hope they don’t kill each other,” said the short one, and they both guffawed before making a U-turn and driving off. To any bachelor who might meet Maria and Steve in such an agitated state that evening, they would appear as a typical couple under Christmas shopping stress, making hell for each other. He would be laughing smugly to himself, praising his luck for being (delete a) single.
THE END

Fifty? Too old to have fun? You've obviously never been fifty!

Last edited:

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Charlie Bernstein,

Thank you for correcting my text. This is just a tale I wrote to practice my English. I am 52. I don't feel you are old when you are 50. I just wished to make the argument between a couple look plausible, and I put those words in Maria's mouth. I can imagine that a woman would tell something similar to her husband if he wanted a Ferrari.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I made a mistake and wrote "shell" instead of "shall."
As for the sentence "Soon lights went up in the expensive homes, windows opened, and someone shouted..." I used "the expensive homes" because in the first part of my story, a couple was walking towards an affluent suburb. When they met Father Christmas they were already there, and therefore I used "expensive homes."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Let's look at the third paragraph. Try:

"Wait a minute!" Maria said. "You don't need another car. You take care of your Audi as if it were a baby... You don't even drive it when it rains for fear it will rust."

I think Maria is a bit too polite in the original.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Next paragraph(s). Perhaps:

"The car is fifteen years old. It's well-maintained, but the years are taking their toll. And I've dreamed of driving a Ferrari since I was a child. Wouldn't you like to sit inside a red Ferrari with the engine roaring and us speeding down the highway free and flying like birds?"

"No, I wouldn't. You'd look pathetic now that you are almost 50. Have you ever looked at yourself in the mirror? You'll soon be bald. Who do you want to impress with an expensive toy -- maybe teenage girls?"

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
“Please madam, tell me your wish,” said Father Christmas in a soft voice. He was eyeing her up and down although she was swathed in a thick coat which hid her curvy body.
Her husband snorted, “There is nothing wrong with our furniture. You've never made a fuss about it before.”
“How could I when I knew what you’d say? I know how stingy you are.”

Me stingy? You've never lacked anything since you married me.”
“My friends have told me hundreds of times that I need better furniture because of my quality needlepoint and embroidery, but I didn’t dare to ask you because I didn’t want an argument.”
“Listen, people”, said Father Christmas. Shall we say furniture to end this dispute?"
“Sure he can come and sit on our sagging sofa.”
“Solid, carved furniture to match my embroidery.”
“Please!” Steve moaned.

Father Christmas grew impatient. He had a date that evening with a woman he planned to marry soon. He was tired of living alone and freezing on long winter nights. She was large, and her soft body was going to warm him like a furnace. He had no time for stupid humans and their petty arguments. He sneaked off and disappeared into the night.
:)

Last edited:

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Tarheel,
I am wondering what the people around you think when they see you typing all the time. Maybe they believe you have met someone online and will go out on a date.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Actually, I live alone, and nobody sees me typing. But I like that comment. It made me laugh. And laughter, they say, is good for the soul.
:)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

"Solid, carved furniture to go with my embroidery."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Next paragraphs.

The couple became louder. Soon lights went on in the expensive homes. Windos opened, and someone shouted, "Drunks, go home!"

Maria and Steve couldn't hear them because they were having the worst argument of their married life.

You need to change something here. Either the cops were on foot or they were in their car, but it can't be both.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
But I am mentioning the police car coming up the street. I do not need to tell the reader that the police officers got out. It is enough to say that they came up to the couple.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"We met Father Christmas a few minutes ago. He promised to grant us a wish," Maria said before interrupted by Steve.

(It's hard for me to believe she couldn't get the last word out.)

"Yes. True. I wished for a red Ferrari, and and he would surely have given it to me were it not for my wife who wanted bloody furniture."

And:

"We haven't had anything --." Maria didn't finish her sentence.

And:

They sat in their car and watched the couple as they trudged through the snow still talking loudly and gesticulating.

For any bachelor who would see Maria and Steve in such an agitated state that evening, they would seem to be a typical couple under Christmas shopping stress, making hell for each other. He would be laughing smugly to himself, thankful that he was single.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
But I am mentioning the police car coming up the street. I do not need to tell the reader that the police officers got out. It is enough to say that they came up to the couple.

Exactly! They never do get out of the car.

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Tarheel,
But you do not need to tell your readers every single detail. If you mention the police car, and then the policeman approaching the couple on foot, everyone understands that they got out of the car.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I must disagree. You can't leave out important details. One second they're on foot. The next second they are in the car. It is (or might be) confusing. And it makes a difference in how you tell the story. Also, if they stay in the car that indicates that they think it's probably not a serious matter. If they get out of the car it is more likely that somebody is going to get arrested. It makes a difference. I think the officers should not get out of the car at any point. That's because they don't think the matter is serious enough to warrant an arrest.

Status
Not open for further replies.