Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
They are on foot when they are talking to the couple, and then they are in the car when they watch them walking away. In the meantime, they told the couple that no offence has been committed and they can go home. I can add if I you think I have to this, "The police officers went back to their car and watched the couple as they trudged through the snow..."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's your story, so you can tell it any way you want. But I don't think they're going to get out the car just to talk to them. (Maybe they do things differently in Europe.)

Bassim

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
Tarheel,
I think that in Europe, generally speaking, the police have different approach than in the US. The police officers are not trigger-happy, and in some countries they do not carry any weapons. If the police are called to some kind of incident, they would always come out, expect when it is too dangerous. In that case they would call for backup. The problem is that in many European countries there is a shortage of police officers because of the cuts, so it is not certain that if you call them they would come at all. I've heard that in the UK, when people had their homes burgled, the police came first a few days later and sometimes they didn't bother to come at all.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Tarheel,
I think that in Europe, generally speaking, the police have a different approach than in the US. The police officers are not trigger-happy, and in some countries they do not carry any weapons. If the police are called to some kind of incident, they will always come out, except when it is too dangerous. In that case they will call for backup. The problem is that in many European countries there is a shortage of police officers because of the cuts, so it is not certain that if you call them they would come at all. I've heard that in the UK, when people had their homes burgled, the police came first a few days later and sometimes they didn't bother to come at all.

Well, the things you hear on the news are not ordinary and can give the wrong impression.

You call 911 here, and the police come pretty quickly. Whether they will catch the crook is another story. (Maybe I will post something in Prose and Poetry or in this subforum.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
One last thing. Perhaps:

"Just one wish? Not three?"