... but essential aspect to/in/for/of understanding why the events were so devastating.

alialiice

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi there! For some reason this has really stumped me. I don't know which of the following is correct. Some just don't sound right and I am not sure why, others do but seem kind of wrong. "aspect in" sounds the most correct to me but I am not sure why. Any help appreciated :)

1. The abuse they suffered is an upsetting but essential aspect to understanding why the events were so devastating.
2. The abuse they suffered is an upsetting but essential aspect in understanding why the events were so devastating.
3. The abuse they suffered is an upsetting but essential aspect for understanding why the events were so devastating.
4. The abuse they suffered is an upsetting but essential aspect of understanding why the events were so devastating.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi there, and welcome. :)
Can you tell us the source of those sentences please?

alialiice

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hi there, and welcome. :)
Can you tell us the source of those sentences please?
Hi! They are sample sentences I wrote similar to the sentence I will be using in an essay.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I suggest you rephrase the sentence. For example:
The abuse they suffered is upsetting, but it is essential to understanding why the events were so devastating.
You could use "an essential aspect" instead of just "essential" in that sentence, but I prefer the shorter version.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The preposition of is the best one in the original sentence. However, I strongly agree with teechar that you should rephrase the sentence.

alialiice

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I suggest you rephrase the sentence. For example:
The abuse they suffered is upsetting, but it is essential to understanding why the events were so devastating.
You could use "an essential aspect" instead of just "essential" in that sentence, but I prefer the shorter version.
Thank you so much for your help!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@alialiice Please note that there is no need to add a post to a thread in order to thank anyone. Simply add the "Thanks" icon to any helpful response. (Put the cursor over the "Like" button and you will see the "Thanks" option appear.)