It is essential that a person take (or takes) a nap every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark8

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
Japan
It is essential that a person take (or takes) a nap every day.

I am wondering if the answer should be take, or takes? I believe it is "take", but I am unsure why. Thank you very much for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
In BrE, takes is perfectly acceptable, though some of us older purists still use the subjunctive form take.

This form is used after such expressions as I suggest/recommend that ..., It is important/essential that ... .

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@mark8 - please note that there is no need to write a new post to thank anyone. If you hover over the "Like" button, you will see a "Thank you" icon. Simply click on that on any post you find helpful. It saves time for everyone.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In BrE, takes is perfectly acceptable, though some of us older purists still use the subjunctive form take.
There is arguably a difference in meaning, the version with the simple present (takes) being about the essentialness of an already established habit, and the version with the present subjunctive (take) being about the essentialness of a habit, regardless of whether the habit is already established. Since not everyone takes a nap every day, we would have to strain to find a proper context for the simple-present version. In the world of a work of fiction, everyone could take a nap every day, and this could be said to be essential in that world. This is not to deny that some may misuse the simple present and imagine that they are expressing present-subjunctive meaning with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.