Can I use 'Results of impact' to introduce the outcomes after impacting two different

Status
Not open for further replies.

middleage S

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Can I use 'Results of impact' to introduce the outcomes after impacting two different liquids?

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
An impact is a result, so it would be redundant. Use one or the other.

I don't understand the sentence. What is the sentence for?

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Can I use 'Results of impact' to introduce the outcomes after [STRIKE]impacting[/STRIKE] striking the vessels containing two different liquids?
If you fall from an airplane into a lake, someone might say you had impacted the water. (I don't use impact as a verb, but it's very widely used that way.) The situation you describe is different. You're hitting containers of liquid with something or striking them against a surface.

Don't use phrases like impacting liquids. You can, however, use the phrase you're asking about.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think anyone would say Middleage's Cessna impacted the water. Most people would say Middleage hit the water or struck the water.

But yes, you're right: I hadn't thought of impact in the sense of hit or strike. I read it in the sense of affect. You've deciphered it for me.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In fact, people often do. Here's one example.
I'm not reading that as conversational English. I think of it as Police Report English: The alleged perpetrator proceeded to the vicinity of the incident.

Impacted
is good for talking about wisdom teeth. Otherwise, I haven't heard it used conversationally.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Impacted[/I] is good for talking about wisdom teeth. Otherwise, I haven't heard it used conversationally.
You've led a blissfully sheltered existence. :) It's used a lot in business and government circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.