Can I use 'Results of impact' to introduce the outcomes after impacting two different

Status
Not open for further replies.

middleage S

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Can I use 'Results of impact' to introduce the outcomes after impacting two different liquids?

An impact is a result, so it would be redundant. Use one or the other.

I don't understand the sentence. What is the sentence for?

Last edited:
Can I use 'Results of impact' to introduce the outcomes after [STRIKE]impacting[/STRIKE] striking the vessels containing two different liquids?
If you fall from an airplane into a lake, someone might say you had impacted the water. (I don't use impact as a verb, but it's very widely used that way.) The situation you describe is different. You're hitting containers of liquid with something or striking them against a surface.

Don't use phrases like impacting liquids. You can, however, use the phrase you're asking about.

I don't think anyone would say Middleage's Cessna impacted the water. Most people would say Middleage hit the water or struck the water.

But yes, you're right: I hadn't thought of impact in the sense of hit or strike. I read it in the sense of affect. You've deciphered it for me.

In fact, people often do. Here's one example.
I'm not reading that as conversational English. I think of it as Police Report English: The alleged perpetrator proceeded to the vicinity of the incident.

Impacted
is good for talking about wisdom teeth. Otherwise, I haven't heard it used conversationally.

Impacted[/I] is good for talking about wisdom teeth. Otherwise, I haven't heard it used conversationally.
You've led a blissfully sheltered existence. :) It's used a lot in business and government circles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back